Out of Commission

That nothingness, it was all you knew. All you felt. You were alone with your dreams. Alone in the dark. Completely and utterly alone. You weren't scared. How could you be. There was no emotion or thought. Just you floating in the blackness of death. In the far corners of your mind you felt a warm presence, strange and foreboding. A golden light called out to you in music-like tones, making no sense, yet you began to understand it.

"___. My chosen heroine." A voice like a thousand harps echoed around you, "You made a promise to me... You cannot let go. You must fight death. Link still needs you."

You found yourself conversing with the air, with only the image of the goddess flashing across your mind, "How can I? I can't escape this world."

"Yes, you can! Would you give up on me so soon?" Her words sounded harsh, "Focus your energy on that shred of hope you may still have. Your friends are doing everything in their power to bring you back."

"Hope?" You asked. How are you supposed to focus on anything if you can't even think?

"Without you, Link will fall into despair. His wisdom will shatter and he will fight out of pure anger, and he will fail if he acts like the demons you tried so hard to defeat." You could feel the warmth growing as she reached out to you, "You must return! Now go!"

For how long you spent floating near death, you finally began to feel the pull of hope towards the living. You focused on it with all your might, trying to hang onto your promise. To your surprise, the blackness slowly began to turn crimson and grew brighter with every effort. You started to hear familiar sounds, forming the sounds of crickets as you began to feel. The warmth, the sharp pain through your body, and the cool air running through your lungs. The smells came back, forming rich forest spices and burning candles. Life had returned.

Groaning slightly, your eyes fluttered open to see a dimly lit canopy of colors. Shadows danced around you in the dark night, celebrating your return. You lay in a well crafted bed, blankets piled on top of you for a good reason. You felt like icy water ran through your veins, chilling you to the bone and making your shiver, yet when you reached up to touch your pounding head the heat was unbearable, not to mention the pain in your side. You knew you had a roaring fever, and felt slightly sick. At least you were alive.

Glancing over to your right, your heart went out in a smile. Link sat dozing in a chair beside you. His head heavy as he nodded off with deep circles beneath his eyes. Who knew how long he stayed by your side. You tried out your voice for the first time, hardly recognizing it as it cracked, "Hey, stranger..."

In a flash, Link's head snapped up to see you smiling at him, "___?! Thank the goddess, you're alive!" He leaned forward and grabbed your hand, "I thought... I mean you were..."

You smiled, "I know."

In an instant, Groose burst through the curtains and knelt at your side, "You're awake! I knew you wouldn't die, I just knew you wouldn't leave us!"

You chuckled, and gritted your teeth in a painful smile. Every move encouraged the sharp pain, "I'm glad to see you too Groose."

Groose sighed, "I'm just so glad you're Ok..."

"Yeah, well. I have Fi to thank for my life..." You shifted your head, looking for the sword spirit, "Tell her thank you, Link. She seems to converse with you more."

"Ah..." The old woman appeared in the doorway, "Our heroine awakes. You have done well! The beast is sealed." She managed a creaky smiled.

Groose snorted, "Yeah, until it breaks free again!"

Link sighed, "We have to get that Triforce! And soon!"

"How long have I been out?" You asked.