Her Grace

You could feel a wave of starry heat pass by you as the stone glowed blue and broke apart. Link stepped back in awe as you watched the stone transform into great glowing gears, creating a dark tunnel into the very fabric of space.

Link turned to you after his awe was stunted, "Let's do this..." He said and grabbed your hand.

Taking his with a firm grasp, you took a step into the tunnel. It felt like you were being pulled by your heart through the dark, guiding your steps back through time. It was quite colder inside the tunnel, but hot at the same time... you weren't sure. Though it felt like hours had passed, which were only a few brief moments, you were swamped by light, and you stepped on the cold ground of the forest temple.

Your confusion was broken by a voice, "Hello Link, ___."

Turning away from your sights, you noticed Zelda's guardian, Impa standing next to the gate, "Where are we?" You asked.

Impa smiled, "You have passed through the Gate of Time to an era of the distant past. You must go through the doors behind me. It is there that the person you've risked life and blood to defend waits for you..."

You caught an excited and fearful sigh from Link as he heard the news. Running up the stairs, you followed hesitantly behind. He sensed you hung behind and turned to you, "You coming?"

You glanced down at the floor and sighed, "I think it's best if you take this on your own..."

"Alright..." Link turned hesitantly and entered through the two large doors.

Taking a deep breath, you sat down on the stone steps facing the gate, trying to piece together recent events. What if this was the end of your journey with Link? In a way you'd be relieved of the pressure of life and death situations, but... The last few weeks your friendship with Link grew tremendously. The bond between you was so precious to you... Could it just be over? Even his crush on you felt like it was slowly dissipating with every second he spent with Zelda. Did that kiss mean nothing? How could you possibly watch that?

With another sigh, you put your face into your hands. A stern but calm voice interrupted your thoughts as Impa sat down gracefully beside you, "Afraid to see Her Grace?"

Your jaw clenched at the thought of Zelda being a goddess and you mumbled, "No... just... I don't feel it's my place..."

Impa nodded, "Your mind is troubled. Weighed down by your feelings for him."

You sucked in a sharp breath, "Yes!...How'd you..."

"I used to be your age too. I know love when I see it..." She smiled.

"No... I'm not..." You glanced at Impa who raised an eyebrow in contradiction. You sighed knowing it was no use, "Maybe. There's just so many obstacles."

"Like?"

You sighed and shrugged, "Maybe he doesn't feel the same way..."

Impa looked at you with wisdom, "You'd be surprised what the heart can do..." She put a hand on your shoulder, "Don't give up hope. Link's a good man."

Before you could react to her comment, a bright light exploded from behind you. You instantly drew and strung your bow, racing into the temple interior to see Link slumping down at the base of a giant amber stone, with Zelda encased inside.

"Link! What happened?" You ran to his side and helped him stand.

Link quickly brushed away a stray tear, "everything's OK, as is Zelda." He gestured to the goddess's sleeping figure. He turned to you, "___, we have to find the Triforce to end all this and set her free."