In The Way

"Link!" Zelda smiled as she noticed him standing in awe next to you.

Link's face brightened at the sight of her, and he started to run towards his old friend. Zelda was about to run down the steps to greet him, but the long arm of the stranger in black stopped her, "You cannot go to him, Your Grace. Remember what we discussed. Restrain yourself. Focus on the task at hand."

Link paused before he reached the steps as Zelda turned away from him, "I... I have to go. I'm sorry, Link." With those last words, Zelda stepped into the pillar of light and disappeared.

Link gasped and started to sprint up the steps with you hobbling behind. The woman in black turned on Link with ferocity, "It took you far to long to get here. Looking at you, I fear the goddess is mistaken in her choice of agents."

Your jaw dropped at her comment. Link risked everything he had to come and find Zelda, and If she kept on running away from him, how could he protect her?

The woman continued with a hint of spite in her voice, "If this failure is any indication, you have no hope of defending Her Grace from those who seek to assail her."

You could tell Link was thinking the same thing you were as his brows knitted together. You decided to speak for your friend, "Link is doing everything in his power to save Zelda! He's not exactly immortal!"

She turned to you, "He might actually get somewhere if he wasn't faced with distractions along the way."

Her comment stung when you realized she was referring to you. Is that all you were doing? Slowing him down?

"Do my words anger you both? Do my words sting? Let them. If I had not come when I did, your Zelda would already have fallen into the hands of the enemy." She continued to talk you down, "The truth of it is you were late. You were late, and you failed to protect her."

Link just soaked in her words with a straight face, trying not to show emotion.

"I sent Zelda ahead to learn more of her fate. Listen well, chosen one. If you wish to be of help to Her Grace, you must summon a shard of courage and face the trials laid out before you. Only when you've conquered them will you be of use to Zelda. No sooner. Am I understood?"

With those final words of judgement, the woman in black turned and disappeared into the pillar of light, which vanished along with her. Link clenched his jaw as he contemplated her words. You laid your hand on his shoulder, hoping to comfort him, but he just shrugged you off and walked towards the statue of the goddess. You wanted to say something to ward off the stinging words between you two, but nothing seemed appropriate. Like in the last temple, Fi appeared and began deciphering the ancient message of the gods to Link.

You were still fighting back emotions as she mapped out directions, and only caught a few important words. The parched desert of Lanayru...The Gate of Time... Right now it didn't seem...important. The woman in black called you a 'distraction' to Link, and the hot metal of the knife jammed into your heart.

Just as before, a large weathered tablet fell into the hands of Link. He sighed and glanced at the statue of the goddess, smiled, then looked like he was about to cry. Sucking his emotions back in, Link turned to you, "We should be getting back, and taking care of our wounds." He gestured to your hip.

All your emotions evaporated at the reminder of your leg. Looking down, you had to fight the urge to hurl. Your hip looked like a piece of raw meat, surrounded by black skin. Scaldera had burned through your clothes, and now you started to feel the heated pain. You had to cool it off, the pain was unbearable. Limping down into the water you knelt down so it covered your burn. It began to tingle, and you realized the water was healing it perfectly, just like it did in the other temple.