Finally Free

*Author's Note: Sadly I must take my final bow as story teller for this adventure. Thank you all for participating in this adventure with me! You have my highest honor as fellow chosen knights! :)

You gasped and hungered for the fresh air that hit your lungs when the smoke finally dissipated. You had to get that stench out of your system! But it lingered still, in the far corners of your mind even as you saw the bright blue skies mirrored in the water below you. The change of scenery confused you, baffling to no limit. Of all places for a battle, why would a demon king prepare something with so much...serenity? You still floated in your captivity, the smoke completely gone, but you couldn't move your arms.

"Yes, struggle all you want, but those bonds cannot be broken." A deep voice appeared in front of you along with the hulking figure of the demon king, "You see they're constructed from very powerful dark magic," He smiled showing yellow teeth, "It feeds off your fear. Even at the smallest inkling of fear it will hold you fast, and will kill you if your fear becomes terror."

Try as you might, you couldn't help but feel a bit of terror at the thought of it, and your torso was immediately squeezed tight. It grew tighter as your fear grew and you knew if you didn't calm down soon you'd die! Closing your eyes you took in a slow breath and searched for hope deep in your soul. The pressure released, making it easier to breath. You stated calmly, "Link will defeat you..."

The demon king bellowed with laughter, "How do you know he will even come here!? He's just another weakling like all your people."

"Don't count on it..." Your heart leapt with joy at the sound of Link's voice. He saw you in bondage, his heart crying out to yours, telling you not to fear. All it did was make you fear for his life.

"Ah, so you've decided to meet your end in battle after all. It pleases me greatly to see such misplaced valor, human." He braced his sword, a weapon of magic the length of a human, doing his best to intimidate both of you, "The hate for the gods that has boiled in my veins... You will taste all of it in the bite of my blade. The only question left is how long you will manage to remain standing before I take your life. Try and keep it interesting for me, would you? I'll take the Triforce as my own, and the world will be under my foot for all eternity!"

No longer was the battle ground serene, for dark red clouds rolled in like smog, creating a dome of impending rain. It was as if every man and woman this beast killed, their blood died the clouds and the rippling water crimson. In swift movements Link charged the demon, attempting a strike, but it was easily blocked. Again and again he blocked Link's blade, making it easier for him to kill Link if he was exhausted. Link knew the demon's trick and raised his sword to the dark heavens. Their blades collided, emanating a shockwave of sparks and blue light.

No longer was their combat a test or a balance of skill and energy, Link hit the demon king with everything he had, managing to shield himself from the deadly blows that were returned. You squirmed against your invisible bonds, even through the silk your elbows rubbed your ribcage raw, brushing the bruise of your old injury. Finally, Link managed to blow the demon king back with a swirl of his charge blade. The demon's head hit the shallow pool, extinguishing the flames of his hair. Rolling back to his feet, the demon clenched his teeth in anger, igniting the flames once more and summoning the downpour, drenching you.

Everything grew darker as a flash of lighting hit the demon's blade. Your bonds grew tighter at the fear of losing Link as the demon advanced with his blade sparkling with electricity. Their battle resumed, but you knew in your heart if you couldn't escape from your bonds Link would surely die. You gritted your teeth in frustration for the only thing holding you back was yourself. If you could just eradicate your fear, maybe you'd be able to free yourself. But How!? In a flash of light, you heard Link's scream. Shooting your gaze back up you saw your friend in anguish on the ground. His figure thrashing and curled up as waves of electricity passed over his form. The water beneath him acting as a current to strengthen the blow.

"LINK!!!!!" You wailed at the top of your lungs, every instinct in you fighting your bonds. Suddenly you dropped into the pool, your arms bracing yourself for the fall. Your astonishment lasted only moments before your spirit took over. Getting to your feet you tried to run, but your dress got in the way, tripping you.

All you could see was Demise standing over Link, who tried to get to his feet, "How disappointing, human."

In determination your nails dug at your skirt, tearing it short enough to fight in. Grabbing Link's sword from the pool, you flipped the strands of wet hair from your face and charged the demon from behind. A tingling sensation filled your fists before a bolt of lightning struck your blade. Jumping only slightly from the power, you swung the sword back, preparing to strike. Demise turned on you in surprise, raising his blade, but not in time. Your sword drove it's point into the demon's gut, sending surges of electricity through every organ and blood vessel.

Both your eyes grew wide, staring into one another's souls as Demise fell to his knees. You quickly pulled the blade out when you felt his blood oozing over your fingers. Thick, black blood like tar. Your breath came in astonished gasps as Link managed to stand beside you, putting a shaky hand on your shoulder and taking his sword.

Demise coughed, his lungs trying desperately to get rid of his blood, "Extraordinary. You stand as paragons of your kind, humans. You fight like no men or demon I have ever known. Though this is not the end. My hate...never perishes. I will rise again!" He clutched his wounds as Link stepped forward, bracing his sword.

A trickle of black dripped from Demise's mouth as he threatened you, "Those like you... those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... They are eternally bound to this curse. An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!"

With a heavy sigh, Link's knuckles went white as he gripped the hilt and drove the metal through the demon's throat. The demon king's head rolled back, severed from his beastly corpse, and slowly it disintegrated into rising smoke. The threat absorbed into the master sword to be sealed away for all eternity. The storm ebbed into a light rain... and your world was free... Finally free...

So... Who did you end up falling for? ;)