The Silent Realm

You sighed as you woke up from a well needed nights rest. You changed into better, less tattered clothes and met Link outside your dorm room that morning for breakfast. Discussing the words of the song together, you finally concluded that the light tower in the town plaza was the first clue. Grabbing things you might need, you both walked out of the cafeteria and almost stumbled over someone.

"Ow! Watch it will you!" Cawlin shouted in a sobbing voice.

You frowned, "Ok, sorry. Hey what's the matter with you?"

Cawlin sobbed, "None of your business! Leave me alone!" He ran off to his dorm room and slammed the door.

Link looked down the hall, "Wow, never seen him that uptight before."

You were about to agree with him when a voice stopped you, "Hey, Link, ___!"

Turning around, you saw Pipit and Karane walk up to you. Their hands were entwined and Karane's face glowed. "Hi Pipit, Karane. Hey do you know what's wrong with Cawlin?" Link asked.

Karane rolled her eyes, "Oh yeah, I had to choose between him and Pipit as a boyfriend, and of course I chose Pipit. I guess he's just a sore looser."

You glanced over at Pipit who quickly averted his gaze from you, "Oh, well congratulations Pipit. Hope everything goes well." You tried to get him to look at you, and he finally did. His eyes pierced yours as if he was trying to ask you a question.

Link interrupted your thoughts of confusion, "Well, we better be going. Still have to find Zelda. Come on, ____."

You followed Link out the door as Pipit still stared at you, leaving you somewhat inquisitive. The trip up the light tower was short, and Fi told you to play the Ballad of the Goddess on your harp. As you plucked the strings, you harmonized with Fi's voice. It triggered a beam of bright light that shot through the dark thunder cloud at the other end of the sky.

As the song ended, Fi suggested the next step, "I suggest you follow the beam. It will likely lead you to another clue to finding the sacred flames."

"Right, ready to fly?" Link asked.

"Always ready." You smiled.

Both of you whistled for your loftwings and started the journey into the thundercloud. It immediately got darker inside, and a heavy rain pelted you as you followed the beam to a floating tower in the sky. In order to get inside you both had to crawl through a small tunnel. Inside was an enormous empty space with the statue of the goddess at the end of it.

It was warmer in here and Fi appeared out of Link's blade, "Master, I have a message for you from the goddess." Fi started to recite an ancient message, "Listen well young heroes, for if you want to find the sacred flames you must first earn three sacred gifts. For each trial you overcome you will receive one of these gifts. Now, I bestow upon you a melody. I will be your key to opening the first trial awaiting you in Faron Woods."

You had the feeling you had to get out your harp again, and as the melody played it burned into your memory. It moved with grace and a quiet rhythm, and when the song was finished it was hard to stop playing the melody.

Fi glided up to you, "The goddess has just helped you memorize Farore's Courage. You should both head to Faron Woods to receive the trial ahead of you." With those last few words Fi vanished into Link's blade.

The whole journey to the special spot in Faron woods was filled with imaginative conversation between the two of you. What exactly was the trial going to be like anyway? When you reached the spot in the woods, Fi told you to play Farore's Courage. In an instant after you played the song, a glowing blue circle appeared over the forest floor.