Chapter 11

The car ride was awkward and silent and all you could hear was the sound of the engine as we drove down the highway.  I looked down at my nails and attempted to focus on the shortness of my nails.  So far we had been on the rode for about 10 minutes and neither of us had said a word since we left my house. I sighed and looked out of the window, watching the trees move. We drove for another five minutes before I decided to say something. "Sooo... where we headed?" He smiled and glanced over at me.

"A coffee shop, or well, one of my favorite coffee shops I should say." He focused back on the rode and the ride was once again silent. A few more minutes passed by before we finally pulled up in front of a small coffee shop in basically the middle of nowhere. The shape of the shop reminded me of a home and the look on Aiden's face was pure bliss. He smiled and turned off the car before getting out and running over to my side of the car. He opened the door and held out his hand for me.

We stepped into the quaint little place, which was called the hideout, and I immediately felt like I was at home. The waitress welcomed Aiden by name and took us to our booth. She smiled towards Aiden and began to take our order. "I'll have my regular, and if my date doesn't mind that I order for her..." He looked over at me and I nodded towards him, "The same please." The waitress smiled and wrote the orders down on her notepad before sashaying away. His eyes lingered in the direction of the bar before he looked back towards me again.

"This place is beautiful. How did you ever find out about it?" He smiled and shrugged.

"My parents own it." I raised my eyebrows and he laughed at my reaction. "My mom, when she was younger, had saved up a bunch of money so that one day she could open up this place. When she married my dad, he gave her the rest of the money she needed to open it, and then helped her put it together. They used to bring me here after school everyday and make me her famous milkshakes and bake me these amazing chocolate chip cookies."

He smiled as he dazed off, most likely reminiscing. "Anyways, How do you like it so far? I always sat in this booth, so they basically keep it clear."

"It's amazing, I love it."

"Good, that's what my mom wanted." He frowned and for a moment, I had forgotten that his mom passed away, making this place much more sentimental than before. I don't know why he brought me here, but I appreciated it. "Today is the anniversary of her death... I come here on this day every year. They do a little video of her that I absolutely love."

I smiled and clutched his hand that was placed gently on the table and he quickly looked up at me. "Thank you for bringing me here tonight. I don't know why you would choose me of all people to bring here to experience this with you, but thank you." He gripped my hand tighter and I noticed his eyes had watered up a little bit. The waitress came over and placed our orders onto the table and I quickly released Aiden's hand, which lingered on the table for a bit before moving it to the handle of his steaming coffee cup.

I took a sip of the piping hot coffee and sighed in pleasure. "This is some the best coffee I've ever tasted." I closed my eyes and savored the taste it left on my tongue before looking at the plate. The was a slice of pie topped with whipped cream. I smiled and picked up the fork sitting beside my plate and tasted the pie and compared to the coffee, this was pure heaven. I caught myself in the middle of a moan due to the taste of the pie and Aiden giggled. "This is so amazing, I could cry."

"That's how I feel every time I eat it." he laughed again and took a sip of his coffee. "I'm glad you enjoyed it." He took out his phone and checked the time. "The video should be showing right about now." As if on cue, the video of his mother began to play along with a song I had never heard before. "That's her singing, it's a song we made up when I was about five and she would sing it with me when I went to bed at night. For awhile, it was the only thing that would help me sleep"

The video showed his mother as a child, and slowly growing up. She flashed forward to her wedding day and then to her pregnancy with Aiden. She was a beautiful woman with bright blonde hair and crystal blue eyes and a picture perfect smile. The video was extremely emotional and even though I didn't know her, I was teary eyed. The video went over to clips of the coffee shop first opening up and how excited his mom was. You can see a small Aiden running around in the background and his mom and dad smiling proudly at the shop.

It faded out and I heard sniffling from the other side of the table and everyone's eyes were glued to the screen. Aiden had tears streaming down his face and he quickly wiped the tears before looking over at me. I grabbed his hand again and this time I was the one doing the squeezing. He smiled and checked the time on his phone again. "We have one more place to go before I take you back home." He attempted to pay the woman at the counter who profusely refused his money and then he tipped the waitress, much to her dismay.

We went back out to the car and he opened the door for me allowing me to climb in. We were on the rode again within seconds and this time, the ride was less quiet. He turned on the radio which we used as background noise while we talked. He talked to me about his childhood and I told him a little bit about mine. I told him about how my mom and dad became a couple at my grandfather funeral and how my grandmother was infuriated. We talked until we finally pulled up in front of the beach front.

"Weird question... do you like sunsets?" I smiled and quickly nodded. He jumped out the car and ran over to my side of the car. Once again, he helped me out and he grabbed a few things from his trunk and we ran onto the beach. I took off my flats and immediately felt the heat of the sand between my toes. Forgetting I was with momentarily, I stood still just loving the feeling of the sand. He laughed and I was snapped back to life. There were chairs set up and two bottles of water nearby each of them.

We sat down and talked more about everything until finally, the sunset began. It was so beautiful and I don't know how I went this long without seeing this and I quietly cursed myself for not bringing my camera. The sky filled with so many different colors and I sighed as I watched the sun slowly move across the water and drifted downward in the sky. "I love this.. " He laughed.

"I hoped you would." he grabbed my hand and I was filled with glee. We continued to watch the sky until it was completely dark. We then packed the chairs up and made our way back to my house. The car ride was silent again, but this wasn't an awkward silence, it was blissful.

We pulled up to my house and he let me out of the car and walked me to my door. "This was amazing, thank you so much for this." he smiled and hugged me and I had to stop and think about life before I completely melted into his arms.

"Thank you for letting me escort you on this date tonight." I smiled and watched as he walked down he steps. He looked back at me before climbing into his car and driving off. I leaned against the door and sighed, and then my dad opened the door, and I fell. I rubbed my butt and looked up at my dad.

"Have fun?" he laughed.

"Loads." I stuck my tongue out at him and stood up. "I'll tell you and mom more tomorrow, I'm tired." I walked upstairs to my room and noticed a figure on my bed,

"What the hell are you doing here." I whispered and slammed my door closed. Kyle leaned back in the bed and frowned.

"How was your 'Date'?" I locked my door and frowned at him.

"Why does that matter? Why are you here?" He stood up from the bed and held out his hand.

"We're going out." What??

"Now? are you insane? I'll get in trouble for even asking my parents that." He shook his head an laughed aloud. I shushed him and frowned.

"Who said anything about asking." He pointed towards the window. "Either you agree to do it, or I pick you up and carry you out the window." I looked back at my locked door as a moment of hesitation hit me.

"Fine!" I groaned aloud.