Chapter 13

I quickly dressed and avoided talking to
Kyle as we walked back to the beach. Before we got out of the lake, he told me that he wanted to watch the sun come up, and I didn't realize how late it was. He pulled out his phone to check the time and sighed after realizing that we had not been out at the lake as long as he hoped for. He began to slam back to the car before I grabbed his arm and shook my head no. I wanted to watch the sun rise as well and if that meant waiting out here, then so be it.

He smiled and pulled a blanket out of the bag and laid it on the sand. I sat down and immediately buried my feet on the sand while Kyle went to grab something out of the car. Being alone for a few minutes have me time to think about what happen tonight. I, Anna, snuck out the house with a boy I hate, I jumped in a lake in my underwear and came out with none... I was beginning to think
I was more like my mother, Charlotte rose, than I originally thought. I closed my eyes and thought about all the wild stories I'd hear about my parents.

I thought about the lake and immediately remembered the story my dad had told me, much to my mothers dismay. And somehow, my night was just like the day of my dad's birthday. Except no one got punched earlier in the daytime and I don't like the boy that I am with. I sighed and Kyle threw something beside me. "I figured you'd be hungry... But I didn't want to make actual food and it, yanno spoil and all..." He rubbed the back of his head in a nervous manner and I giggled.

I picked up the fruit bar he had thrown at me and opened it. Kyle blushed and took the seat next to me and proceeded to do the same. "So, I realized earlier today, that we don't know each other very well." He bit into the fruit bar and I was suddenly aware of his jawline. It boy was is sharp. "So, Um tell me something I don't know about you... And in turn, I'll do the same." He looked over at me for a brief second before turning and looking at the ocean.

"Well, you don't know much about me. So I don't know where to start." I took a bite of the bar in my hand and looked over at him. He stared at me and smirked. I felt my cheeks warm up and dropped the bar in my hand to cover them. He laughed at my embarrassment and smiled. "Anyways, um, you already know about my brother, and obviously mom and dad are still together. Hm, let's start with my childhood?" He nodded.

"Um, I lived a pretty normal life I think. I was an only child until 5 and after that, mom and dad kinda focused more on the baby. You know, the usual thing with a younger sibling. After that I sort of began to throw temper tantrums as any child would. I'd break things in my room, scream, cry, basically the whole nine yards and all. Um, I had to go to therapy after that. Started taking anti depressants when I was 12 and was off them by 14. After that, mom and dad tried to pay more attention to me and sort of apologized for focusing more on the baby. I always look back on it and think that maybe I overreacted, just a little." I chuckled and he grabbed my hand. I worked hard to ignore the spark that shot through my hand and continued with my story.

"In elementary, I had this major crush on this one kid, ha, it was actually kind of sad." The grip loosened on my hand and he frowned.

"Aiden?"

I nodded and he let go of my hand. I looked down at my now empty hand and sighed. "Your turn... I don't think I want to speak anymore." My hand turned cold and I gripped the blanket in attempt to warm it again. With no luck, I began to listen to Kyle's story.

"Well, I didn't have such a normal life. My dad died when I was 5. I was so young and so my mom thought it was important for her to take care of me, but she's the one who needed the support. A few years later she remarried, I didn't really like the guy but she loved him and it was the first time she was happy in forever. He had a daughter that I had immediately taken under my wing, not because I had to, but because I wanted to. Anyways, in my sophomore year of high school I dated this girl, Adrianna, she yanno, did drugs and all, tried to pressure me into them constantly. I broke up with her, but he friends were still my friends and eventually I succumbed to the pressure, just once. I felt sick about it and immediately told my mom. That's when moved here. Now I like this girl who completely confused me... But that stories for another time."

He looked over me and smiled. This time it was me who initiated the kiss. I leaned over and my lips gently touched his. He kissed back lightly and his hands shot to my back and he pulled me closer. This kiss was different from the one we had shared earlier that night in the lake. That was filled with lust and want, this one was sweet. We broke apart and he looked me directly in the eyes and smiled. I scooted back to my side of the blank and tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "So what time does the sun rise?" I asked with an unhealthy shake in my voice.

"Normally around 5..." He checked his phone and smiled when it said 4:59. I sighed thinking of all the sleep I wasn't going to be getting for school in 2 hours. "So, how was the date..?" He smiled at me and it took me awhile to figure which date he was talking about. "The one with Aiden... Unless you considered this a date?" He chuckled and I rolled my eyes.

"It was... Different." I laughed thinking about how I had watched the sunset with one guy and was about to watch it rise with another. Only difference was that I liked one of these guys. I was about to explain the what I meant by different when he shushed me and pointed towards the ocean. Colors appeared in the sky and I was completely mesmerized by it. By the time it fully rises, I felt complete. Kyle stood up and held his hand out. I took it and he easily lifted me off of the ground. We wrapped the blanket up and began our drive back home. 5 minutes into the drive I dozed off and didn't wake up until Kyle tapped my shoulder after we had pulled into his driveway. I sleepily got it of the car and stretched. "Hey, Thanks for tonight. It was... fun." He nodded and smiled.

I ran around to the back of the house where the stairs were closer to the door. After looking in the window, I grabbed my keys out of my pocket and I quietly unlocked the door and snuck up to my room. I unlocked my room door and smiled at the sight of my bed. Today, I was going to fake sick for the first time.

"Cough, cough."