Chapter 18

"Anna, you have to decide."

I plugged my ears with my fingers hoping to block out the dumb conversation I was being forced to have. I even attempted to scream to further block out the noise before a hand was placed over my mouth. I licked Mel's hand and she squealed in disgust before slapping my arm and wiping my germs back on me.

"Being childish won't get you out of this conversation! Right here and right now, you have two boys who are willingly wanting to be with you. Kyle, who you've know for a little under 7 months, have had sex with twice-"

"Three times actually"

"NOT the point. And who you've gone with to the hospital to see his broken mother and you've let him stay here when he was upset. And then there's Aiden.... you've liked him since forever ago... that's all I got really."

"Aiden is... well he's who I've dreamed of since I first met him. Did you know that when we were in 5th grade, a group of kids were bullying me and he stood up for me. Him! Aiden! And at the time, I had already liked him so after that I was... how my mother would say, smitten." Mel fell backwards onto my bed next to me. I fell back so that I was lying next to her and she frowned. "I don't know what to Melody... I like them both. And I never thought I would ever have to make this choice in my life. I was so set on being a lonely woman with 20 or so cats and you being the lady's woman and married at 22 to the waitress." I covered my face with a nearby pillow and screamed into it. I hated making choices and this by far had to be the worse. Both boys have completely turned me upside down and I honestly don't know what to do.

An alarm rung signaling that Mel and I had to officially get up and ready for school, although I wasn't exactly looking forward to going. This week was spirit week which meant that homecoming would follow closely after. I didn't have a date to homecoming and hadn't had a date for the past 2 years. Years past, I went with Mel and a few of Mel's friends and had a pretty decent time, but now I had to go with Aiden because technically we were an item... I think. And now I would actually have to do something with my face and hair, rather than the mascara and quickly thrown together ponytail I do every year. If it were up to me, I'd stay in and binge watch my favorite shows, but because my mother LIVES for these things, I have to go. And luckily for me, both of my grandmothers INSISTED they help me get ready this year (because having a date this year is actually worth their presence, unlike the past years where they didn't even bother to show up, let alone purchase my dress like they did this year).

Anyways, I hated spirit week. Or rather, the peppy girls in their too short skirts (and by short, I mean short. The girls purposely pull them up so that their spandex shorts would show... not sure why), and their excessive need to peppily scream in your face at 7 in the morning and not only because they have school spirit, but also because apparently football players loved hearing their name being called and the cheerleaders loved calling it. And also, I have zero school pride, mostly because I hate this school beyond reasoning. If my mom hadn't pulled the "it's my alma mater Anna, you have to go for me and your father" card I wouldn't be going there.

The only good thing that remotely came out of that school was all the trouble Melody and I caused in our young years... oh and of course meeting my... boyfriend? I still wasn't sure whether or not Aiden and I were dating officially and I guess it'd be a good idea to ask eventually. But if I'm being completely honest, I'm terrified to ask. Because after we make it official, it's official. Which means committing to someone I don't even know if I want to be with. I adore him very much so, but what if I start dating Aiden and it doesn't go well, then I would have ruined a perfect opportunity to be with Kyle, and Vice Versa. Either way, committing at this point would be truly toxic towards my mental health. Goodness, I sound fucked up. Since when has my life been this complicated. I remember being the one who would hide in the back of the library just to avoid talking to boys, or people in general. And now I'm stuck between choosing two boys. And the sad thing is, it's a win lose situation no matter what way I look at it. If I choose Aiden, I'll be hurting Kyle and if I choose Kyle, I'll be hurting Aiden...

Mel touched my shoulder and I snapped out of my daze to focus my attention on her. "Oh, you're dressed already." I stood up and stretched my legs which seemed to ache due to the fact that I've been sitting down for more than 5 hours with Mel. "I can't believe we pulled an all-nighter! And I'm not even t-" I was cut off by a yawn that told me that I was indeed tired. And to top it off, I wasn't feeling so hot either. I shook it off and walked towards my closet with a determined attitude. I refused to be sick right now. Unfortunately, my body disagreed because as soon as I began walking, my vision went dark and I felt myself fall to the floor. The last words I heard was Mel calling my name and I couldn't remember why.

I woke up hours later, or at least what felt like hours. But I wasn't in my bedroom. I looked around, searching for the source of the beeping noise I kept hearing and found a machine that looked to be tracking my heart beat. I groaned aloud, apparently spooking someone because I heard a gasp. My mom immediately appeared by my side with her worried look plastered in her face. "Mom? What happened? Why am I in the hospital?" Her grim look did not help me feel better about myself.

"Um, Anna. Well you remember how when you were a kid, and you kept fainting and you remember how the doctors kept blowing it off. Well, the doctors still don't know what caused you to faint but they said they are determined to figure it out. All they said right now is they think it's nothing fatal but the doctors are going to keep you for a few days to make sure you're okay... unfortunately,  you're going to be missing homecoming." I sighed aloud, thankful that nothing was too fatal and I was able to miss that stupid homecoming dance. "You look happy... Annabelle! Do not tell me that you're excited that you're missing the dance."

"You said it... not me." She groaned aloud and frowned at me. "Mom, don't be that way. You know how much I hate going. I mean sure, it probably would've been a little better now that I actually had someone to go with but let's be honest, I don't dance for a specific reason." She sighed but kissed me on the forehead anyways. I silently reveled in the fact that I had unintentionally avoided going to the dance with Aiden and was careful not to gloat aloud.

Mel came to visit as soon as school ended. Mom had called aunt Maya and told her I was okay and I'm guessing she passed the news on to Melody because she didn't seem glum when she walked into the room... with Aiden trailing closely behind her. I gripped my covers tightly. Pulling them towards my chest and frowning in Mel's direction. "He insisted" she mouthed to me before smiling over at Aiden who rushed to my bedside.

"Mel mentioned you were here. I just wanted to come check on you. Are you okay?" I smiled and nodded as he slipped my hand into his and squeezed. "Good, our relationship just started, you can't get rid of me that easily." He kissed my hand and I felt my heart flutter a bit, which considering the state I'm in now, can't be too good for me. I laughed of the butterflies and cleared my throat to get his attention.

"Hey, Aiden, my mom just said that I wont be able to go to homecoming." his face dropped and I immediately felt my previous excitement vanish.  "I am so sorry! I think you should still go. You're on the football team, I think it'd be weird if you didn't show up." He shook his head vigorously and I frowned. "Look, I don't want to keep you from your own homecoming. I'll be okay here. Mel's going to bring me Chinese food and I have my TV drama shows. I'll be okay."

"I really wanted to take you. You know, show you off a little." I smiled and put my hand on top of his. "Okay, I'll go but I want to come see you before. Now get some sleep, I'd like you to get better." I nodded and he kissed my forehead before waving goodbye to Melody and leaving the room.

"That was sweet." Mel smiled at me and I picked up a empty cup from the desk next to me and tossed it at her. "What?! The boy cares for you. I was just complimenting his etiquette." She shrugged her shoulders and I turned over and attempted to drift off to sleep.

I hate boys, but there was a good chance that I hated Mel more for always being right.