Chapter 14

"I just don't see how she could have gotten this sick overnight. Mason she looks terrible." I groaned aloud and looked over at my mom. "Sorry Hun, but you do." She definitively held up her hands and I rolled my eyes. I guess I didn't have to pretend to be sick because after swimming in the lake, I actually got sick. Granted it was only a cold but I was sick nonetheless. Dad came over and placed his hand on my forehead and frowned. "Mase, do you think we should take her to the doctors?" He shook his head no and I let out a breath of relief. I hated the doctors with a passion.

"No. Just make her some of my moms remedial soup and she should be fine. It always helped me." He sat on the edge of my bed and my mom groaned. In order to actually make the soup, she had to get the recipe. And in order to get the recipe, she had to call Grandma Kelly, which meant she was going to be on the phone for awhile, because boy can grandma talk. I silently laughed as I watched my mom flip her phone over in her hand before finally calling. She stood and walked out of the room and I took off the hot blanket.

Dad looked at me with a frown on his face. "Annabelle, I swear if you're faking this--"

"Dad... Why in the world would I want to fake looking like I do right now. I look like a bag of poop." He sighed. His parental senses kicked in and he began to rub my hair like he would do when I was younger and sick. After hearing the many stories I heard about my father and how he was a player, it was interesting to watch him be a dad. He was caring and you could definitely tell my mom had an impact on him. "Hey, dad. How did you know when you liked mom. Like really, really liked her?"

"That's a weird question." He smiled the way he did when he talked about my mom. "Well. For awhile, I was infatuated with her. Every time she would scrunch up her nose when she'd get mad at me. Or the way that she would just daze off sometimes. But I knew I was absolutely in love with her during this one Halloween party. Your mother was always one to avoid a party scene. And being the asshole I was, I decided to try and scare her. So I dressed up as a clown, I was so clueless back then and the stupidest things were funny to me. She was sitting in the backyard and I was just hanging out back there. I should of seen that she was terrified, but I didn't and I proceeded. It was funny until I seen that she was upset and I had never felt a pain like that before. It felt like my heart had been physically ripped from my chest seeing her cry. She didn't talk to me for days and I felt like I was missing a piece of me. After that, I was always in denial but deep down inside I knew I loved her." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a teary eyed mom standing in the door way with a bowl of soup.

"That's funny because that's when I knew I hated you." she laughed and brought the soup to me. I sat up and began to sip it slowly. My mom checked her watch and cursed under her breath. "Talking to your mom made me late." She ran back out of the room and my dad groaned. He also needed to get ready for work and drop Jacob off at his bus stop.

"Well, I should be going now. Finish the soup and you should feel better by the time I get home. If not I'll make you more soup." I smiled and he left the room, closing my door behind him. I groaned and drank more of the soup and pulled the cover tighter against my body. Despite it being the middle of spring, I was freezing. I heard the cars start and pull off. I sighed as I attempted to fall back asleep but something was keeping me awake. A tapping noise at my window suddenly had my attention.

I rolled my eyes and got out of bed, dragging my feet towards the window. Kyle smiled back at me like a child and I groaned and opened the window, letting him in. "Why are you here now?" He walked over to my bed and sat down. He pulled out his phone and laid back in the bed, obviously making himself comfortable. I sighed and went back to the bed and crawled under the covers, doing my best to ignore Kyle, who was slowly inching closer behind me. I felt the warmth of his arm before it wrapped around me and pulled me closer to him. As if instinct, I snuggled closer to him and drifted off to sleep.

I awoke to my hair being slowly stroked and I was suddenly aware of the second being in my bed. I turned around and faced Kyle and frowned. "Why are you in my bed?" He smiled and shrugged his shoulders but immediately went back to stroking my hair.

"You look a mess. I saw it from my window. I figured you could use a friend?. So I waited until your parents left and I was going to bring soup, but it's kinda hard to climb up a window with a bowl so I left it at home. Anyways, I saw how you reacted when your dad rubbed your hair, I thought maybe I should..." I smiled before kissing him gently, shutting him up. His hand left my hair and went to the small of my back when he attempted to pull me closer to him, failing of course.

I don't know if I was being brave or stupid but my next move was surely risqué. I climbed onto his lap, helping him bring us closer. This however resulted in him taking both of our shirts off. The heat radiating off of his chest brought us closer together. I broke apart from the kiss and looked him in his eyes. "Kyle, I'm sick." I stated breathlessly. The lust in his eye didn't diminish, rather it grew.

"Anna, you're worth it." He pulled me back into the kiss.

And this, is where I made my first mistake with Kyle.