XII: Breathing without gills

Annabeth Chase

"Blue?" Leo chuckled "that's why Percy's addicted to blue." Sally placed blue ice teas and blue chocolate chip cookies on the coffee table.

We decided to visit Percy's apartment to keep Sally and Paul up to date. The Argo II was "parked" at the East River, hopefully, covered by the mist. Mist is a supernatural force controlled by the goddess Hecate that twists a mortal's sight from seeing monsters, gods, Titans, and various other mythical creatures. It can sometimes fool demigods too. But Sally has a good eyesight when it comes to seeing mythical creatures, while Paul, not so much, he was and Engligh teacher at Goode HighSchool, were Percy used to attend to.

When the news got to them. Paul was so relieved, and Sally just smiled. Sally was used to these kind of things, like how Percy would disappear from time to time to save the world.

I recalled the time when he disappeared for eight months, when Hera, the queen of Olympus, decided to pluck Percy and Jason out of their camps and swapped them. Thinking about it made me want to judo flip Hera.

But now the case was different, the gods themselves were in shock from the news. Everything seemed normal except for the fact that Percy died and came back to life. Why can't we just have a normal teenage life, for once. Doesn't it pain the Fates to use some other demigods for their puppet shows?

I didn't realize I was so deep in thought when Piper elbowed me, facing me with her kaleidoscope-like eyes with concern. I nodded and assured her that I was fine.

Piper, me, and Hazel flopped on the brown leather couch. Leo was on an armchair, his feet hung loosely on the right arm of the armchair and his back leaning at the other. While Jason and Frank was checking At Percy's room for any signs or clues. Nico insisted staying on the Argo II.

"What's up with the Blue food, Mrs. Blofis?" Piper asked.

After the Giant war, Sally got married to Paul and got her last name changed to Blofis, but she wasn't used to it. Sally and Paul is expecting a baby girl. She was 2 months old. So you could see a slight bump on her stomach.

"Call me Sally" she smiled. "Blue food is my way of saying to Percy, when he was a kid, that he could pass his grades, and succeed in school." She picked up a cookie "Like cookies can be blue. Percy can finish school."

Sally looked at me with tears in her eyes. Everyone was silent, except for Leo's crunching, and loud sips of Ice Teas. Piper smacked Leo in the back of his head, which caused Ice tea to come out of his nose.

"Ow." Leo groaned as he fell down. "A please be quiet would have worked."

I stood up, and hugged Sally. I buried my head on her shoulder, staining it with tears, but she didn't seem to mind.

"You'll find him. I know you will." She whispered

Doubt. That's what I felt. There are so many what if's. I was the least person who'd they expect to lose hope or doubt. That was one of the perks of being a child of Athena, everyone looks up to you. For answers, for strategies, and sometimes for hope.

Seeing Percy's lifeless body really had shaken me up.

I mean what if he's found a different person. What if he's not really alive. What if this is just a waste of time. What if Percy didn't want to be found.

No. I told myself.

I remembered Percy not giving up on me, when I fell off a cliff at Westover Hall. How he held on to me when we were falling of the cliff on Tartarus. We were both there for each other.