XXXIII: Leo and his mouse

Piper McLean

"Annabeth!" I called.

We didn't have time to gawk in horror at the monster tearing our ship apart. We were all so occupied with our argument to notice the 23 meter wide maw with absolutely 100 percent no sense of dental hygiene.

I remember this monster from the time Annabeth told me about their trip to the Sea of Monsters. When Clarisse La Rue, daughter of Ares, decided to enter the Sea of Monsters between Scylla and Charybdis. She assumed that by sailing closer to Charybdis, with the help of her ship's cannons, they would be able to send the monster back to Tartarus.

But, unfortunately, they failed.

If only Percy were here, he could have sensed the monster right before it attacked us.

Leo ran from the engine room and back, barking orders at Hazel, as they struggle to keep the ship aloft. Frank morphed from one creature to another, dived to the sea as a hammerhead shark. Jason who flew around the monster, slashing and hacking uselessly with his sword. Nico who mans the ballistae, shooting and screaming in defiance while finding its weakness. Festus who constantly shoots fire trying to do damage as much as possible. Annabeth lay at the deck passed out, while her bandage dyes itself red.

I ran towards Annabeth. Midway there, the ship lurched left as waves billowed our trireme, its crest crashing the deck dousing Leo flat on his stomach, who was on his way to the engine room.

"Oh come on?!" he complained as he struggled to his feet, wiping his face. He continued to wobble towards the engine room.

I reached Annabeth, cupping her face in my hands. She was passed out cold. I checked her pulse, her breathing, which was perfectly fine. The only problem was her injury a few days ago, the one that started to heal, layered itself with a huge gash.

I took out the piece of crushed ambrosia form my pocket and fed it to Annabeth, she let out a soft moan, as her wound starts to heal.

I sighed in relief.

From my years as a demigod, I never left without a supply of the godly food. You never know what the fates may be up to. 

I started getting the hang of controlling my anxiousness when taking care of my friends. I kept my hands from trembling, my voice from quivering and my heartbeat steady. 

I remember the time when me, Jason and Annabeth went to Odysseus' Palace, where escaped souls have gathered to support Gaea. How Michael Varus, a roman half-blood, pierced Jason with his Imperial Gold blade. Oh how nervous I was back then. For days I worried for Jason's life, but controlled my fear for him.

I looked around me and see my friends taking on different roles to save the ship, and the demigods in it. 

We have become a team, that when problem gets in our way, our instincts acts up, as if communicating with the others, with just one look from one another, we already knew what to do.

But right now, we kind of need our demigod with the plans.

I adjusted her shirt and peered at the gash to see it mending itself. The gash was a foot long, from her ribs to her hips, but it was not deep enough to cause internal damage. It was starting to heal itself at a good amount of time.

Not fast enough.

"Annabeth. Listen to me." I took a deep breath, and concentrated on pushing all of my power on my words "wake up"

She opened her eyes and let out a huge gasp as if grasping for air. She clutched my arm for support. She looked around frantically, taking in the scene around her. Her stormy gray eyes analyzing every inch of movement occurring around her in short amount of time, until her eyes rested on me.