40~ Mirrors

"
His heart is made up of delicate glass.
He's afraid it'll break into so many pieces he'll loose his reflection forever.
He wraps it up tightly to keep it safe, but his heartbeat has slowed, he can no longer feel what it is to love without fear.

-Christy Ann Martine "

I stood there in front of the mirror in my bedroom. I was home. I couldn't work any longer.

I stared at myself for quite sometime. I looked the same. But I knew there was something different. I wanted to feel numb and not feel anything at all; but only if the aching would stop. I had no ideas of what to do or how to feel. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath . I wanted to drain this sorrow or I don't know anxiety maybe in, someway or the other.

I opened my eyes slowly, to regain vision and I found someone standing behind me. I looked at the reflection for quite some time. I yet again didn't how to register what, I saw.

"Nandini! " I finally whispered and her lips curved into a smile. I didn't want to turn around, fearing it would be a dream but then I did cause maybe for the first time I wanted her to stand there in front of me and say she was there.

No sooner I turned, I found that smile on her face vanished and she looked down letting out a sigh.

"I tried so hard to be what you needed! " she said, letting out each word as slowly as possible. I could feel the pain cause maybe this was the only common part we shared. Pain.

"I'm sorry" she said.

I stepped closer to her. She was apologising yet. Why! Did I affect her so much?!

I was drawn back to reality with her sobs. I stood fixed at my position while I held out my hand to her but no sooner did it touch her, she vanished.

I motioned my hands like a maniac in the air. Nothing. My eyes were burning not with tears but with this rage growing within me. She vanished! How?!

I sat by the length of the bed and shut my eyes tight, yet again. Black. I saw nothing rather this time I heard voices.

"You know what Manik... Meri galati hai...and you are right!! Hum alag hai...Mujhe kabhi shaddi karni hi nahi chahiye thi tumse!!"