Chapter Twenty-Four

Dressing in a long red dress I zip it up and let my hair fall wavy, applying red lipstick I open the bedroom window.

George is in the office so he has no idea what I'm doing.

Jumping I land on perfectly and inhale the strong smell of dirt.

Walking into the woods I look up to see the moon shining brightly.

Walking to the place where I last saw Nathaniel I step up into a large rock and let the wind carry my dress.

Hearing a gasp behind me, I turn to see Nathaniel dropped onto his knees.

Jumping from the rock I step towards him, looking down at him I smile.

"Stand up Nathaniel. You'll get your clothes muddy." I chuckle.

"Says the one wearing no shoes. Again." He shoots back as he raises to his feet.

"I jumped out of a window for you!" I snap.

He grabs the back of my neck and pulls me against his chest.

Closing my eyes I sigh, "Something about you...makes me feel like I'm dangerous.."

He chuckles and as I open my eyes I notice that we're nose to nose.

"What was it that you wanted to show me.." I whisper.

Nathaniel sneers before twirling me and running his hand through my hair.

"You wore red. Just like the last time I held you..." He says as he takes my hand and leads me through the woods.

"What happened to me..." I frown trying to match my pace to his.

I fail.

Terribly.

Thankfully he notices and stops, he scoops me up like I'm nothing and continues walking.

"You were killed."

"How? By whom?" I whisper.

"You had your heart ripped out. By my brother."

Feeling myself becoming emotional I breathe deeply and look where we are.

Seeing a large white mansion, which is covered in overgrown plants, dirt and many years of abandonment I climb out of Nathaniel's arms.

Running up to the door I push on it lightly and step inside.

Seeing a large staircase, a fire place with two couches, bookshelves, a kitchen and a dining room I feel the tears run down my face.

"My home." I whisper.

Sprinting up the stairs I run through the corridor and burst into our old room.

Our broken bed, a smashed mirror, a cabinet overthrown, wardrobe doors kicked in.

A jewellery box is laid on the table in the moonlight.

Walking towards it I open the box to hear my mums lullaby.

Holding the box to my chest I slide down the wall onto the floor.

Watching the ballerina spin I sob and cover my mouth with my hand.

Nathaniel stands in the doorway and watches me with no emotion.

Opening the draw in the box I see a locket.

Inside there's a picture of me with black hair, pale skin, yellow eyes in a corseted red dress with Nathaniel.

Throwing the box across the room I scream, "NO!"

Pulling my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms around my head I whimper.

"Why did you do this Nathaniel...." I sigh.

He stands frozen, saying nothing.

In seconds I'm stood in front of him and I'm growling.

"Oh stop it. You are no mutt. You are my Queen!"

Flinching I walk over to the mirror and my hair slowly changes from strawberry blonde to black.

Running my fingers through it, my vision clouds with tears.

Nathaniel comes behind me and lifts me up into his arms.

Crying into his chest as he carries me, I watch memories in my mind that I don't remember.

We're at the fireplace and I'm put onto my feet.

Wiping my tears away I look up at Nathaniel and he wraps his long arms around me.

"Come back to me...you make me stronger Sky. I need you more than that dog. What he did to you with that girl..he doesn't deserve you." He frowns pushing hair from my face.

Sniffling I lean up into my toes and kiss his cheek.

Pulling back his eyes turn blue.

"You're home again."