09

|Scarlett POV|

"Yes and no. Yes, they're your children, but they're not your kids. You haven't been there for anything and yes, I know that is all my doing, but you didn't want responsibility at that point in your life. You made that perfectly clear. If I was holding you back, imagine how much triplets would have held you back. I was looking out for them and you. You got your freedom and they got two happy parents. At this point in their life, Nile is their father. When they are older we will tell them and they can make the decision on whether or not they want you in their lives." After going off on my little rant the line was silent for a good five minutes.

"Okay, I respect your decision. After all, you know them better, but can I say one thing?" He said in a whisper that I could barely hear. I nodded, but after a few seconds I realized he couldn't see that so I responded back, "go ahead."

I could literally hear him nervously gulp as he began to speak, "After you walked out of the restaurant the night we broke up, I immediately wished I could take it back. You were my one true love and I should have never left you. I still regret it every day." He took a sharp breath before he continued, "I felt terrible for months afterward. Whenever I was with Maria it didn't feel like it did with you. I'm sorry. I'm so f*****g sorry. You were the love of my life and you still are. I'm breaking it off with Olivia. I will never be happy with anyone except for you. I love you, you're my soulmate and I will be with you again someday. We are meant to be together. Until that day I just need you to know I love you."

After he finished speaking a beeping tone came over the line, indicating that he had ended the call. The beeping continued as I stared at the wall with a bewildered look. What just happened?

I never in a million years thought he was still in love with me. I still love him, but is it in the same way he loves me or is it a he's the father of my kids kinda way? I have no idea. I stood there baffled as I contemplated what choice I need to make. I rubbed my belly while I thought about it.

'If he truly loved me he wouldn't have left me six years ago,' I told myself. I can't trust him, but what if I am more in love with him than I am with Nile. That isn't fair to Nile. Oh gosh. 'Why is this choice so difficult?' I internally screamed.

I was now sitting with my coffee and thinking. I know what has to happen. I have to figure out who I love more. "Braden or Nile?" I whispered to myself right as I heard little footsteps coming down the hallway. I guess I will have to contemplate this another time. My mommy duties call.

|Braden's POV|

I hung up on her. I couldn't hear her response. I just needed to say that, get it out in the open, but I can't hear her rejection. I just... I can't...

I stood there thinking until my thoughts were interrupted by someone clearing their throat. Oh no. I turned around and saw Olivia. I knew by the look on her face that she heard everything. Tears were welling in her eyes, glazing over the heartbreak you could see in them and her hand was covering her trembling lips.

The look on her face broke me. We stood in awkward silence until she spoke, "why?" she stuttered, removing her hand. I was blindsided. I don't know why. I don't know why I put Olivia through this. I just don't have a valid reason.

"Olivia... I'm so sorry." I said as tears came to my eyes. "I just... I..." I stopped to think carefully about my next words. "I can't be with you. I thought I could. I tried so many times after I broke up with Scarlett to try and feel the same way about other people the way I felt about her. It never worked. I tried and tried, with random girls... " I stopped and walked closer to her, tears falling down her cheeks. "with Maria... " I took a moment and looked at this beautiful woman in front of me. I took a breath and then finished my thought, "with you... "

She broke into a sob and turned her back to me. "It never worked and I'm sorry for involving you in it. I should have never tried again. Seeing her at the reunion just brought up so many old feelings and now that I know about the triplets, I need to try. I never knew about them. I have to try. I have to try and be a father to them. Please don't hate me." I pleaded with her.

She stood there shaking. I reached out and put my hand on her smooth shoulder. She shook off my hand and then turned around to face me.

In this moment she looked a hundred years older. She was no longer 29. She had lived a full life. She looked into my eyes and grabbed my hands. "I don't hate you..." she whispered. She looked down and then back up at me. "It sucks... it sucks big time." She laughed a tiny laugh with tears still consistently streaming down her cheeks.

She thought and then released my hands and put one of her hands on my cheek. "I forgive you..." She muttered under her breath. "Thank you." She stated and then let her hand fall to her side.

I looked at her puzzled. "Thank you for what?" I said baffled at this woman standing in front of me. She's so f*****g strong and deserves so much better than me.

She contemplated why she said that. You could almost see little gears turning behind her eyes. "Thank you... for realizing this before we got married, for being honest, but most importantly, thank you for leaving. I don't think I would've taken it as well if you would've done this like, ten years from now"

We both chuckled at her statement. "Promise me three things?" She asked, hugging me.

"Anything," I whispered into her curls.

"One, don't abandon James. Two, we stay friends. Three, get her back." She surmised.

I was stunned by the third request, but I nodded, promising that those three things would happen. We stood there for an extensive period of time. She loosened her grip, but I held on, I held on to this last moment I had with her.