20

|Braden's POV|

Right as Brantley was about to answer a doctor walked out. Everyone looked at him as he announced like he was at a football game, "who is Scarlett Malm's family?" Almost everyone rose their hand, even I did.

The doctor walked to Scarlett's mom and everyone crowded around him. "That's us," her mom spoke meekly.

He had a smile on his face which calmed me down as he began to speak."The surgery was successful. We stopped the bleeding. It was only minor. She has a concussion and a broken arm. With a crash like that it could have been much worse. She is very lucky. She is awake now and is asking for her kids."

Nile shifted his feet and looked at the doctor. "Um... our children are at a friend's house. I can call and ask my friend to bring them here," He said with a pained expression.

The doctor nodded in understanding and then looked at his clipboard as he read off the next name of who she wanted to see, "next on her list of who she wanted to see was Nile Malm and Braden Parker."

Nile glared at me as I said, pointing to me and Nile, "both of us?"

The doctor nodded and started walking away. It took both of us a second to realize we needed to follow him.

After a few minutes, we stopped in front of a closed hospital room door. "This is Scarlett's room." The doctor said and then walked down the hallway to tend to another patient.

Nile and I walked in. Nile walked all the way into the room while I stopped in the doorway. I think it just now set in that she is okay. Tears gathered in my eyes as she took a drink of water. She set the cup down and then looked up at me and smiled. Damn, that smile makes me weak. Right as I was about to speak she turned to the nurse and asked to have a few minutes alone with us.

The nurse hesitated, but she left the room. Once she was out of the room she looked at me and Nile and then spoke, "so, in light of recent events, I've decided that life is too short to be indecisive. I made my decision and I was about to tell them when I got into my accident." She took a breath and then continued, "I feel like it was the universe's way of telling me that my decision was wrong. My first decision was that I need to be with Nile. I mean we are married and we do have 3 children together. I went to your parent's house and Wendy told me you went out with a friend. A girl. I honestly don't care what happened between you two and please don't tell me."

Nile eyes widened and then started to plead with Scarlett, "wait. Please let me explain!"

Scarlett held up her hand to him, "no Nile. I want a divorce. I'm sorry. I just can't be in a marriage when my heart isn't in it. I would say I wished I had left sooner, but then I wouldn't have my amazing children. I'm sorry that I waited. I did love you at first. I just wasn't over Braden and we rushed things. I'm sorry Nile."

Tears were pouring down Niles' cheeks as he gathered his thoughts. "Don't be sorry. You can't help how you feel. I wish you had told me sooner, but can you just give me some time. My friend is bringing the kids. I'll call our lawyer tomorrow morning to see how quickly we can get this divorce done," he muttered and then left the room.

Now it's just me and Scarlett.

Scarlett looked at me with tears and whispered, "Braden..."

"Does this mean you choose me," I rushed out.

She pleaded with herself and then with a confidence in her voice said, "yes and no. I want to choose you, but I also want to see if the spark between us is still there."

I nodded, and then asked, "how do we proceed with finding that out?"

She thought and tapped her fingers on her thighs. She always does that when she is thinking really hard about something. She then reluctantly said, "I think we should become acquainted and become friends again. After that, we start going on dates and then we see from there."

I smiled at her. "I like the idea. Thank you..."

She looked at me confused. "For what," she asked curiously.

I smiled, "for giving me a chance at a family..."

After saying this I went up and gave her a hug. Not even a second after we started hugging the door burst open and four of the most beautiful kids I've ever seen, burst through the door. They all ran up to Scarlett's bed and got on.

They gave her hugs and kisses and then a few seconds later a male walked through the door and then set down two car seats and left. I went over two the car seats and when I saw the most beautiful eyes staring back at me I knew they were Scarlett's. They were lucky to get her eyes. As soon as they saw me their faces lit up and they both smiled at me. It was at this moment that I knew that even though these kids weren't mine that I would love them and treat them like my own for the rest of my life. My heart was now completely full...