14.1

|Scarlett's POV|

I had got ready really quickly and was putting on lipgloss when the doorbell rang. I looked at the clock on the wall and it was nine o'clock on the dot. I smiled. Punctual as always. I grabbed my purse and went to the door. I put my hand on the cold silver doorknob and breathed in. I slowly opened the door and the smile fell off my face and was replaced with a neutral face when I saw who was standing in front of me. It wasn't Nile, it was Braden. I looked at him with a confused face and when he didn't speak I did.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned.

He shifted his feet and then meekly said, "I need to talk to you."

I was curious about what he had to say so I continued, "about?"

He sighed and then rushed out, "I love you. I'm in love with you and I always will be."

I looked at him puzzled. I know, but why is he here? Why tonight? Why? I was just finally feeling okay with my decision to stay with Nile. My eyes watered and my lips started trembling as I whispered, "what?"

He heard me. He stopped and thought about my question and then blurted out, "I love you! I have ever since the first day we met. The day after I broke up with you I was on my way to the airport. When we passed your apartment I saw you standing on the balcony and that's when I realized I made a very, very big mistake when I broke up with you. I love you with all my heart. I have always loved you."

I listened to every word. Every syllable. I took everything to heart. Tears ran down my cheeks as I pleaded out, "why now?"

He looked me in the eyes and spoke true and genuine words, "I broke up with Olivia a few months ago and I was waiting for the right time. Then I realized no time will ever be the right time to tell you. I want to be with you, I want to get to know my kids. I want to be in their life and I want them to know who I am. I've already missed so much and I don't want to miss anymore. Please..."