Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Kent drove past my house about fifteen minutes ago. I had got an unread text from Cook and the time stamp indicates that it was from 20 minutes ago. I don't even bother to open my phone and look at the message. Cook could wait.

"Who's that?" Kent had asked.

"No one," I lied. And I think he knew because we've been driving in silence ever since.

"So," I finally said, "are you going to tell me were we are going?"

"Not a chance," he replied casually.

This conversation felt so familiar. Then it hit me. Everything we exchanged last week in his car. It all came flooding back in waves. I unintentionally gasp really loud.

"What? What's wrong?" he asked me, slightly panicking, he was stealing glances at me.

"Oh my god," I said so lowly.

"Sav you're freaking me out. What is it?" his voice urgent, he decreased speed.

I covered my hands over my face. I was so fucking embarrassed. I feel his hand reaching out to me, gently tugging one of my hands away from my face.

"I remember," I whispered.

"What do you remember?" he was clueless.

"Everything."

His face still blank and non comprehensive from my self-discovery.

"Last week," I clarified slowly.

"Oh," he said flatly, removing his hand from my wrist. I felt even worse now. He looked straight to the road. If I didn't know him any better, I'd think he was determined to act like he didn't hear what I just said. I wasn't going to repeat myself. I'm embarrassed as it is. It suits me fine not to talk about it. I was a complete moron. I overreacted and then tried to get out of a moving car. What the fuck?

Kent's hands were now gripping the steering wheel but instead of speeding, he was slowing down, more and more. I dare to glance at him a little. I couldn't tell what he was thinking. He then pulled over the side of the road. This wasn't the reaction I was expecting at all. He cuts the engine and sighs. He hasn't looked at me ever since I told him and I'm feeling nervous to the point that I could hear the engine running even if its not. I clear my throat but really I was trying to not choke on my saliva as I tried to gulp down my nerves, my shame. Did I have to be so dramatic and gasp that way? I should've lied. I should've said that I forgot to hand in an assignment. I'm so stupid. Why do I think of a good excuse after the damage is done?

He stares at the road a little longer as cars rushed past us. He then rests his head on the wheel.

"Are you okay?" I ask hesitantly. This wasn't Kent. This is scaring me. I hope this isn't to do with the incident. I say incident because it doesn't feel like an accident anymore.