Chapter Fifty

Chapter Fifty

A week had passed and Katy remained impassive of me each time we crossed paths. In Gym class, she hung out with other girls as she and Wesley suffered the same faith as she and I does. For the last three weeks of Gym the final sport was basketball — a treat as coach calls it — as most students find it the most enjoyable sport after soccer.

I mostly dribble the ball during warm ups with Penelope.

On lunch hours, Katy was mostly not seen. I worried. A lot. Rumor has it that she's been frolicking with a college guy and he came to pick her up and drop her off before the last bell, thus before gym class. I had seen no sign of this happen but it's quite possible since I never see her anywhere during lunch and it's too cold and snowy to go out on the bleachers. I mainly wondered if she ate during lunch times. I really hoped she did.

***

I hadn't directly spoken to Cook since the morning he brought me home after his Christmas party. That was almost a month ago now. That's why it came as a shock when he rang my doorbell on a Tuesday night. It was 8 o'clock, a bit late for a study session. It was dark out and only my porch light lit him up with his backpack on his shoulder.

I was weary. "Hi," I said as I swung the front door open.

"Hi. I know it's late. But I thought maybe you wanted to study since exams are next week."

He seemed distressed.

"Uh, yeah sure. Come in," I said, my voice leaving my mouth but my thoughts jumbled somewhere else.

We settled on the dinning room, there was the most lighting and space.

"So... What did you want to start with?" I asked.

"Chem?" he asked.

"Alright sure," I said. There was plenty topics to cover anyway.

We set out on some organic chemistry and worked our way back to titrations and what not.

Mid-sentence I was cut off by Cook. "There's nothing between Katy and I."

I was taken aback. I didn't know what to say to that so like a moron I continued what I was describing about distinguishing different isotopes.

We continued like that until the clock struck eleven. Not that I minded him being here but we had class the next morning. I didn't want to shoo him out either so I said nothing.

"I should go," he said at 11:12.

He grabbed his stuff hurriedly and made his way out with a mumble of goodnight. I didn't even have the chance to ask if he was okay or to hand him his sweats that I had washed days ago. I had been accidentally sleeping in them on cold nights.