Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

It was a Tuesday afternoon after school and Mark and I were at our local Starbucks, sipping on our coffees and pretending that we didn't have to attend to any urgent math homework.

"So," he said, pausing to blow on his skinny latte. "What's the deal between you and Matthews?"

I knew he'd ask about Kent Matthews. If there's one thing me and Mark have in common is quenching our curiosity.

"Not much."

Mark's brow raised to its perfect questioning arch.I lowered my head, blowing on my own cup of cappuccino.

"Well... We almost had a moment."

"A moment?" he questioned.

I nodded. "Yeah a moment," I confirmed. "A very brief moment that could have been something."

Mark gasped. "You guys kissed?"

I shook my head. The disappointment in his face was so genuine as if he'd wanted me and Kent to share a moment more than I did, which I doubted was even possible.

"My phone went off right at that second."

"Damn," he whistled. "That fucking sucks. Talk about bad timing."

"Yep," I agreed. "How about you? Any luck?"

Mark's eyes instantly lit up. "There's a potential someone... He's so sweet and McDreamy."

If it was physically possible Mark's eyes would be the shape of hearts pretty similar to the heart-eyes emoji.

"Sounds like someone's in loveeee to me."

He rolled his green eyes but did not object as he finally got to take a sip of his latte.

"I'm glad it's working out for you," I tell him, beaming.

His face falls a little. "I never said it was working out..."

"Oh, I'm sorry. What's wrong? You seem so happy."

He sighed audibly. "He's not out yet... far from it and I thought I could handle it but its tougher than I anticipated."

"I'm so sorry Mark. Maybe he just needs some time. And I'm sure he's lucky to have you supporting him and being there for him..." I waited a beat. "Does he go to our school?"

Mark shook his head, his curls intact. "No. I met him at a party."

Mark regained his good spirits as he told me the story of how they first met. Him and his not yet out of the closet boyfriend Lee.

***

When I got home I was mulling over the idea of Mark and I working on a project that could serve both of our portfolios. It was his proposition for us to combine my writing and his video filming. Mark and I met through drama class last year. Our hearts weren't set in theatre but theatre brought us together. He got to discuss his talent of video filming, editing, and sketching and I spoke about my passion of writing scripts. We both loved to act. But we preferred being the inside man, the one behind the screen. Him the filmmaker and me the scriptwriter, on our way to the Oscars. That last part was wishful dreaming of course.

Once home, it was seriously time for me to attack my math homework. I was already slacking on the new content and this time I had no one to help me. I wonder what would happen if I called Cook.

Would he answer?

Would he ignore it?

Would he yell at me?

Would he harass me at school?

Would he simply block my number?

These thoughts kept swirling around my head, rendering impossible for me to even think through the simplest mathematical equations. The what ifs were too pressing.

That's how I ended up dialing Cook like a drunk would dial their ex.

My phone to my ear, my heart pounding in my ears, was that two rings or four already? The ringing ceased. But I didn't get a voicemail. I got Cook's voice.

"Hello?"

I hung up instantly. I guess I was weighing more on all the other options than this one.

I didn't know what to tell him. I was just curious. I knew no bounds. Why did I always have to be so damn curious all the damn time? Hopefully he won't call or message me back. I'm completely embarrassed at myself.

What was I thinking?