Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

We were approaching Kent’s porch when I stopped midway on the stairs.

“Are you sure what I’m wearing is okay? I feel naked oh my god this is a terrible idea. Why did I let you choose?” I say as I stare down my bare legs. At least I wasn’t the only one in shorts; Katy was in a matching pair as well.

“Stop it. You look like a babe. Sometimes I forget that you have legs and boobs... Oh God. Your boobs! It’s nice to finally see those girls.” I look at the low cut white shirt she put me in and cross my arms to hide my chest. I didn’t sign up for hooters last time I checked.

“I’m going to murder you and then I’m going to go home,” I state.

“Stop tripping.”

“Whatever let’s just do it,” I decide, trying to muster the bit of courage I have in myself.

Katy smiles at me and some tension leaves my body. I wanted to come here tonight, now I have to go through the night without excuses. A little worry still courses through me as another thought comes to mind.

“Are you sure my stitches are covered up?” I asked while touching the side of my head.

“Yes, just keep your hair on it,” she reassures as she brings some of my hair forward.

People were passing us into the house, eyeing us suspiciously for being stopped in their way. It felt like a swarm of ants passing us.

“I thought this was a small party, why is there so many people?” I ask Kate, incredulous.

Katy laughs as if I said the joke of the century.

“There’s no such thing as a small party, don’t be so gullible.”

I was going to say something clever back but the thought of having all these people in one house made my stomach churn. I was hoping that we were going to be a few people from our grade, which would allow me to spend my time with the company of Kent. Katy, seeing my uneasiness, grabs my hand.

“Come on, everything will be fine. I promise we’ll have a good time okay? Just act cool. Also if someone offers you anything, don’t be rude, accept it.” She winks at me.

“I am not doing drugs,” I tell her with disbelief.

“Okay okay. At least have a drink or something okay. Or else you won’t loosen up and you won’t feel a good vibe.” We both know she says these encouragements without really meaning it because I never have the guts to try anything and don’t feel the need to change that.

“Fine whatever,” I say to shut her up.

We enter his house and weave our way through the sweating teenagers dancing their lives. I had to admit that the dancing looked kind of entertaining. For someone who’s a horrible dancer, I dance quit a lot when I’m alone. And if I’m completely honest, I sway my hips to the hipper songs of Taylor Swift.

We went to the kitchen were drinks were being served as pleased.

Katy started working; mixing some drinks together for herself and giving me simple cranberry juice after my protesting against alcohol.

I gape as she drowns the whole content in her red cup instantly. I know I shouldn’t be shocked when I see her repeating the steps a second time, mixing things here and there, and swallowing another cup.

“Let’s dance,” she commands, grabbing my arm and dragging me to the crowd who were dancing.