Chapter Sixty-Two

Chapter Sixty-Two

I slept in the next day. I wasn't going to go to school. I wasn't going to face Mark's empty seat. Mom came home as soon as Cook called her, explaining the situation. When we met her at home. I collapsed into her sobbing. She held me until I fell back asleep in her arms.

I left my phone off which drove Cook crazy. He came to spend his spare and lunch with me before driving back to school.

He made me soup as I sat on the sofa watching stupid comics. Mark's favorite. He once told me that if he had any drawing talents, his art would be in comic sketches and designs but he preferred filming any way. Now he'll do none of it. I had exhausted all my tears. I sat there motionless. I had so much anger in me. I didn't know how to channel it.

I finally spoke to Cook asking what were news at school. He said there was none besides that the funeral was to be held on Sunday of this week. Close friends were invited by Mark's parents. Cook said there were a few more messages about tolerance, anti-violence, anti-bullying campaigns, etc. All that went over my head bitterly. Where were these fucking messages throughout the school year? Did they need tragedies before broadcasting the important news? Why talk about the difficult right when we could talk about soccer scores and school fucking spirit.

When Cook left back to grab our notes for History, I finally opened my phone. I ignored everything. I hovered around Mark's messages. I shouldn't do this to myself. I scrolled to the recents none struck besides one from an unregistered number on my phone; I opened it. It was Mark's older sister, Karina. She said to call her back when I could. I called her immediately. The last time I'd seen Karina, she was briefly visiting over the holidays, having dropped Mark at our Starbucks.

"Hello," her strong voice came through but I could tell it deterred by the pain of loss.

"Hi Karina, it's Savannah." It was weird hearing my voice. It felt separate from me, distant even.

"Oh thank God. I've been getting call by all these kids. All these fuckers pretending to be his best friend and shit. I knew Mark had you. How are you sweetie?"

I started to cry again.

Karina's voice shook too on the other end. "Oh honey I know. I miss him too so much. I couldn't believe it. I broke everything in my parents house. It should have been them instead of him. It's a terrible thing to say. I don't really mean it. But I'm so fucking angry honey. I almost wished it was anyone else but Mark. "

I was choking over my tears. Turns out tear ducts were possibly inexhaustible.

"I can't believe he's gone."

"I know honey me too... I wanted to see how you were. Save my number. I'm here if you ever need me... I wanted to ask you if you knew if Mark was depressed?"

"No," I croaked. "He seemed fine. There was only the shoving from other guys at school that previously happened but mMark would never..."

He was himself on Monday maybe that was an odd behavior before wanting to put an end to your life. We spoke about past and future alike. He could have fooled me all year long.