Chapter Fifty-Three

Chapter Fifty-Three

The last week of the semester went by quickly. Exam week always did.

Cook and I continued to study at my house after he moved into Jeffrey's apartment. The days mom was home she was so cheery that he was over — not because of the cooking — but because she suspected I had no friends due to having not seen Katy or Kent in a while. After inquiry, I confessed to mom that I wasn't on good terms with both, without getting into great details. Mom saved lives for a living, I didn't want to talk to her about idiotic high school drama that oddly resembled more to middle school drama.

Our talk veered to something more important.

"Mom... I have a confession to make," I said.

"What is it?" she asked. Her voice was not superstitious. She was simply listening.

"I..." I didn't know how to say it straight out. "I don't want to take science classes next semester."

"What are you trying to say?" she asked calmly.

I grabbed my courage in both hands and I out with it. "I don't want to be a nurse or a doctor or even pediatrician or veterinarian for that matter... I want to write scripts."

Was she upset?

Her eyes grow wide. "Oh honey! That's amazing?"

"Wh-at? You're not mad?"

"Of course not. I knew you'd find something you loved eventually. I never expected you to follow my footsteps." She smiled. "Ever since you were young you decided you wanted to be a nurse like me but I saw you gravitate towards the books, the TV, and pen and paper. Part of me knew. Call it motherly intuition. It was not my place though to figure it out for you unless you went through with nursing and felt miserable then of course it's my duty to stir you onto your own path."

I hugged her tightly.

"You're the best mom ever," I whispered.

"I love you baby," she said back, enveloping me in her arms.

***

It was officially February and the first week of second semester. I went through quite a process to get into different classes than I originally picked.

When I reached my locker that morning, knots in my stomach formed for the upcoming day, I saw a figure hanging out in front of it.

It look like he was waiting for me and there's no mistaking Kent with his over looming height.

"Hi?" I said. He was blocking my locker.

"Hey," he said, not meanly.

When our eyes met, all I thought about was New Year's Eve, our last good memory together. Where something special happened. Something I had never experienced. I did not know how much I missed him until he stood there in front of me, smiling shyly.

"I-"

"I'm sorry," he said.

He tugged at his hair, which grew longer in the two weeks we were apart.

"I've been acting like an ass," he continued.

"I'm not the easiest girlfriend to have," I teased.

He shrugged. "You're all I have."

I hugged him and he kissed me gently on the cheeks. We got some hoots because it was after all the captain of our soccer team. To me, it was just Kent. My childhood best friend and now lover.