Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

When Monday morning rolled around I was amazed at how quickly this month went by; given school started on the second week of September and all. It was finally fall and I was ecstatic because it meant that Halloween is around the corner. Then in November it was NaNoWriMo and I was excited to participate for the very first time. Then there will be exams which of course was still a dread but then there was christmas to look forward to and that will make everything worth it.

In chem, it was no longer lab week as Mr. Lamb instructed that he'll teach us some content and supplementary course material this week that will be incorporated for the next section of our lab. Safe to say it was a boring class and Ashton drew me comics that somewhat entertained me despite my somewhat straight face.

I was paying extra attention in math class so me and Mark didn't get to talk much anymore during the lesson.

"Sav wait up," said Mark, trailing behind me, after the bell.

"Hey what's wrong?"

"Nothing girl. Just wanted to catch up. What's up with Kent?" he asked me, cutting through the chase.

I slow down my pace and so does he. I looked at him and he seemed cheerful. I almost forgot that Mark knew about my crush on Kent sometimes. I still feared the day everyone would know due to Cook's big mouth and constant torments.

"Not much, " I told him.

"Damn Savannah back at it again with them white lies."

I rolled my eyes. He spent way too much time on Vine.

"I'm not lying it's true. We are friends again but I'm honestly confused as ever about him."

"Sorry to hear babe. We can go out for coffee sometime for real and talk about all the boys," he suggested.

I laughed because for me there was just a boy that constantly haunts my thoughts but I haven't heard about Mark's latest love life.

"I'd love that."

"Ok great baby girl. Gotta scram. The next bells ringing in a minute." He kissed the air and scurried away. I did the same.

Making it right on the dot in english class, I made it to my regular seat. Surprisingly Cook was on time and into the seat next to mine. He smirked at me as he brought out in front of him both his short essay and his reflection piece. I raised my eyebrow at him, seemingly impressed.

We were assigned our first novel of the year. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I tried not to let my disappointment show. Not that I don't like the classic but I was hoping to for once read something I haven't read before. Oh well. That's what you get for being a literary snob, which I secretly enjoy being. From my peripheral vision, I can see Cook watching me as if he was tuned to catch me every time I didn't want my expression to be seen. I don't know which Gods of Fate I've offended up there but please forgive me. And let me breathe.