Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

My first monday as a senior escalated pretty quickly yet painfully slowly. I didn't have Kent nor Cook in my evening classes. I had Katy and the new guy Wesley in PE. It was a bummer because I ended up being the third wheel and I practically ran alone during the whole period.

I took the bus back home since Katy had to go run some errands for her dad.

When I entered the threshold of my house, I was greeted with a deadly silence. It was comforting but lonesome. I sigh as I walk into the kitchen, guessing that I'd start preparing supper until my mom came home. As I opened the fridge, the front door opened simultaneously.

"Hey honey, I'm home," sing-songs my mom.

She's in an awfully good mood. I join her in the living room.

"Hi mom, what's up?" I ask as we give each other a tight embrace.

"My coworker Jeffrey is coming over for dinner." She smiles radiantly.

"Oh" I say, my lips forming in a perfect 'O' shape.

"Was that a good OH or a bad one?" She questions nervously.

"A good one I guess?" I answer hesitantly.

I didn't know how to feel about my mother having a male coworker over at our house? Last time I checked, she hardly had any time to spend with me anymore. I don't blame her about it, of course not. But the thought of an other man in her life intrigued me. She deserves someone who can make her happy. Yet I don't think I could get used to anyone who isn't dad to do so...

"Okay good." She genuinely states.

"What are you going to cook?" I tentatively ask.

"I was thinking about making my famous spinach ricotta lasagna that you're so fund of." She teases, knowing that it's one of my favourite dishes.

My mouth waters at the thought of it, as I nod fiercely.

"Thats a great idea," I beam.

"Perfect." she states.

"I'll give you a hand," I say as I wash my hands in the sink.

She gives me an adoring smile as we get to work.

Three hours has passed when Jeffrey rang our doorbell. My mom rushed out of her room and flies down the stairs in an inhumanly amount of time. She must of learned that at her job.

I got to admit she looked amazing. Her whole attire was stunning. You could say that I've grown too used to her hospital gown recently. It showed that she slightly attributed more effort in her outfit than usual. I was now seriously doubting that this man, who was patiently waiting on our front porch, was just a simple coworker. She wore a white silky blouse with a fancy black skirt. She had thrown on a neckless who had tiny black triangle designs on it to camouflage her rather plain assemble. It was incredible how she can make something so simple look rich and classy.

Despite her hectic work schedule, she still manages to keep everything in the right order. Her hair was always perfectly pinned up or flawlessly curled. Her room, well for matter of fact, the entire house was kept clean at all times. We don't dare to misplace anything. There were no dirty dishes on the counter compared to Katy's house nor was their any garbage laying around. My mom is kind of a clean freak but hey it didn't bother me because I grew up being the same way. I must say I have veritably inherited of her genes. I liked having everything organized in my perfect order. My closet was colour coordinated, my notes were neatly highlighted, my books perfectly stacked on my shelves, and I always carried my day planner with me. Thus the reason I never hand in any of my assignments late, actually I tend to give them in early.

My dad is - was - the only messy one in the household. I missed him so much that sometimes it would physically hurt so much that it drove me sick. I think I can cope with the loss but I don't think I'll ever be capable to accept the fact that he's truly gone. At times I feel as if he's still here with us, I know it sounds absurd but it's true. I can feel him carefully watching over my shoulders...

My mom stood in front of the full body mirror hung up in the hallway. She was nervously fixing her hair, making sure not a single strand was threatening to stick out of her top notch bun. She also double checked her makeup. Emphasize on the double.

"Yup clearly more than a coworker," sneers my ugly subconscious.

I ignored her as I gave my mom a reassuring smile.

"Ma you look amazing!" I gush.

"Thanks sweety. I hope it's not too much," she cautiously says.

I shook my head, "Nah. You look just perfect like that."

She hugs me and heads excitedly to the door, nearly tripping over her own feet. I shook my head and refrain from bursting in laughter. Clumsiness runs in the family.

They greet each other and exchange kisses on each cheek. I could see my moms blush from where I'm standing. It's cute seeing her like this. They quickly join me in the hall. He looks strangely familiar, I must of seen him a while back at her work. He looks quite young and handsome for a man who's in his late forties.

"Jeffrey this is my lovely daughter Savannah," she presents proudly.

It was my turn to flush at her motherly words.

"Nice to meet you," he says, bringing his hand out towards me.

I shook it courteously and gave him a polite smile.

He adds, "I've heard a lot about you."

I felt a tad betrayed because he sounded sincere about these words. How is it that he heard lots about me but I've never once heard of him? I wanted to rudely tell him that she never mentioned him. I try not to let my sarcastic side take a hold of me as I ask, "I hope you heard only good things?"

My mom catching up on my semi-sarcastic tone, she replies, "Of course," she laughs it off uncomfortably.

"Mmm, it smells good." Jeffrey inhales lightly, lifting the mood.

"Oh shoot! I forgot to bring out the lasagna from the oven. Please don't let it be burned." She prays out loud while rushing to the kitchen.

Jeffrey and I look tentatively at each other before we both start to laugh hysterically.

I guess the evening won't be as awkward as I expected. It looks like he's used to her clumsiness which eases a little bit my nerves. Jeffrey does look like a down to earth guy with a decent sense of humour.

Maybe he could be good for my mom?

And just maybe he could make her happy again?