Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four

It was past two am. I had no money on me. Only a half charged phone. I had no ride home and I was extremely tired. I never drank and two drinks was way too much for me. I wanted to simply rest my head on one of Cook's pillow. His bed was so clean, soft, and cushiony. I'll just rest until he comes back.

I jolted awake. And checked my phone it was near four am.

Shit.

I had fallen asleep. I was under the covers. Fully clothed in my clothes. I turned on my side and stifled an almost shout as I saw Cook laying on top of the blankets next to me on his big bed. He was all the way on the edge; I was taking up most of the bed. He was wearing the same pants from the party but he had on a change of shirt. I shifted around and made something slide off the bed. I reached down and check with the brightness of my phone. It was a grey sweater and sweatpants. I think Cook left them near my legs to dress into. I made my way to the bathroom. Wiped off my makeup with the lights closed. Stripped from all of my clothes except my undies and put on the warm ensemble. When I came back, Cook was still soundlessly sleeping at the edge of the bed. Normally I would be uncomfortable but I was so drained and tired to care. I snuggled back under the soft feeling and good smelling sheets and fell back to sleep. All questions would have to be resolved in the morning.

***

When I woke up a few hours later, there was no sight of Cook. I figured he'd be downstairs that's when a delicious smell of fried eggs filled my nostrils. After a bathroom stop, I made my way to the kitchen like a mouse lured to a cheese trap.

I made my way slowly. There was no way I wanted to run interference with Cook's father. The thought itself of being caught sneaking down into his clothes made me cringe. It felt too strange. I peaked my nose around the corner and my body followed suit. I was standing into the kitchen entrance waiting for Cook to see me instead of me having to startle him.

He turned around with a pan in his hand. "Oh," he said, resting the steaming pan on a wooded placemat. "Good morning."

He had short hair but at the front; it was a bit longer. It wasn't gelled back like his usual, it was sticking up. It was quite comical. I was in no situation to talk as I woke and hurriedly tied my hair in a high pony tail starring at myself through his big glass mirrors.

"Good morning," I said back.

"Coffee?" he asked.

I nodded greedily. Taking a step further into the kitchen. Coffee was definitely the way to lure me into the kitchen.

"It smells good."

He grinned. "Thanks."

I knew his little secret talent and he felt smug about it. He wasn't ashamed and I was glad because I was ravenous and Cook's cooking has proven to be amazing. Not that I would overtly admit it to him.

I took another step further in.

"How do you take it?" he gestured to the coffee cup he poured me.