Chapter Thirty-Three

I was one of the first ones to finish our test on "The Great Gatsby." It consisted of 20 multiple choices on plot, 5 on chronology, and 5 development questions about the characters.

Cook sat a few desks away from me, curtesy of ignoring me for near two whole weeks, minus last Saturdays incident. He was cursing under his breath and scratching nervously at the back of his head.

The agony he was going through was the same I go through during a math test but luckily he tutored me and it didn't get to that point last time.

If only we'd gone through Gatsby together.

When the bell rang, I trailed behind him.

"Cook," I called out to him.

He turned to me. "What do you want?"

He was annoyed, his jaw was set, and his blue-green eyes darker when he squinted.

"You didn't read the book?" I asked.

He scoffed.

"You think you're so-ooo much better than everyone else." He accused, as he took a step forward. I took one backwards almost crashing into a hurried student.

I wanted to interrupt and tell him I wasn't judging him by it.

"Has it occurred to you that might be the reason why you don't have friends? Because you think you're so much better than the rest of us? You're as judgmental as they come." If there was a moment to spat all over me; this came closely to it.

"I -" I started.

He waved me off and walked off.

I was going to offer helping him in English.

Why is so pissed at me?

How dare he call me judgmental.

I'm not judgmental.

Am I?

All of this was so beyond confusing.

Besides I did, for once, have friends.

***

The rest of the day I kept thinking about instances I've ever been too judgmental with Cook, and after a few occurrences I lost count and gave up. I was disappointed in myself. No wonder he hated me more than I had previously hated him. Imagine someone being critical of you at every occasion they got.

I was fucking judgmental and Cook has to be the one to call me out on it.

Great.

***

Katy and I were shopping for some movie night snacks; popcorn, chips, chocolates, Twizzlers, and diet Cokes. I was surprised that she agreed to this and so eagerly filled the basket. She had invited Amanda to our regular movie night and it only seemed fair to me to invite Penelope. I was a bit nervous of having the both of them at my house since no one has been there except for Katy and recently Cook. 

Why did all train of thoughts lead to Cook? Ugh.

I turned to Katy, who is pushing the cart, "Do you think I'm judgmental?"

She laughed. "Kind of?

I stopped walking.

"Not really? I don't know... Why are you asking me this?"

"Just a question. Which is it. Am I or am I not?"

"Well just a bit. Sometimes you judge people a bit too harshly if you don't know them. You're quick to refuse getting to know them or see something they've done or said in the past," her eyebrows rose in contemplation. I know she was referring to Amanda, which had proved me so wrong.

"You're right," I agreed.

"Sav, it's just that people are not all black and white. Most people are actually morally grey. Some people like you, are exceptions but not even then. No one is perfect."

I hung my head low. I knew this. Yet why did I feel that this was the first time I was understanding this concept?

Katy reached up to me and elbowed me on the side friendlily.

"You're also loyal, sweet, honest and kind of funny, and I wouldn't have you any other way."

I smiled at her but her words resonated into my head. Especially the words loyal and honest, which I've proven to be neither recently.

***

After setting up the basement for movie nights: mattresses and covers and

pillows and junk on the floor, with the Netflix pulled up on the screen, I shot

a quick text to Cook apologizing for being too judgmental. I didn't get an

answer throughout the entire night. I kept glancing at my phone but nothing

came. And somehow I knew that nothing would come. But I did apologize,

although on text, but I meant it.

I considered telling the truth to Katy about Cook. There may be no harm

no foul? Better later than never. Honesty was after all the best policy. Yet I

recoiled like a coward at the thought of coming clean. Besides it would bring

about nothing but useless explanation and confusion.