Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I'd recognize that accent anywhere. A big lump forms in my throat. I swallowed it hard. This can't be happening this was like way beyond an episode of American Horror Story. This was like my worst nightmare coming true. I opened my eyes slowly and I cautiously turned around to face him. I've hated Cook for the longest of time now, well one year isn't that long but still. I had every right to my hatred. As I faced him, I tried my best to hide any hint of unease. I quickly composed myself.

"Not at all," I replied confidently.

If he knew how much I feared him and the effect he has on me, I'd be forever doomed.

"Aw, you broke my heart," he cries, drawing his hands to his chest while faking a pain strained face.

I fake gasp, "You have one?"

He chuckles maliciously and gives me one of his boyish grin. Ew, luckily that smile doesn't work on me.

The first bell rings before he could reply.

I sigh in relief as I enter my chemistry class. A unladylike grown escapes my mouth when Cook enters the classroom few minutes after the second bell.

"You there Mister, what's your name?" the teacher asks Cook as he reaches the empty seat behind me.

"The name is Cook," he states innocently.

"Well 'Cook', next time you arrive late to my class you'll receive a detention," says sternly the professor.

Cook gives him a fake horrified face as he sat down, not taking him seriously. As if he would give two shits for receiving a detention. His whole calendar will be full of them this year.

"Pstttt," he murmurs to get my attention.

I don't dare move a single inch which clearly pisses him off.

He tries a few more times. I still won't budge. There's no way I'm going to give him the satisfaction of my attention, even though he doesn't stop making those ungodly noises. Cook starts to poke me with the eraser part of his pencil. Wow how mature of him. Hundreds of pokes later, I still don't cave into his game. I got to say it's become quite annoying. After a while, I can hardly focus on what the teacher was saying. Until suddenly he gives up. I can't believe it, I won. I didn't let him get the best of me. Sav 1 Cook 0. This year will be a good one if I can ignore and handle the bastard like this.

"Fine, have it your way. But I know what happened at the party. And I wouldn't mind sharing it to my fellow classmates," he half-whispers to me.

I shiver as goosebumps appear on my body from his disgusting treat. I turn around immediately and half-yell, "shut up!" Before thinking twice.

Most of the students turn to my direction, included the chemistry teacher, Mr.Lamb.

"Excuse-me?" He asks, raising a pointed eyebrow towards me.

"Sir, I um-um-umm," I stutter, desperately trying to find the right words as my cheeks flush.

Cook laughs so loud that his laugh resonates on the walls. Provoking an other shiver upon me. I fucking hate him.

"I was talking to you Cook." implies Mr.Lamb.

What?

Cook's laughter seizes instantly.

"What?" He spits out. He gives Mr.Lamb a dark look. The kind of look that makes you run for the hills to hide for an eternity.

He doesn't seem to notice, well if he did, he doesn't let it show. By the looks of it, Cook doesn't intimidate him at all. If it was anyone else, they'd back up, they wouldn't even dare to defy him. Unless if they wanted to die. Which that mostly unlikely was never the case.

"You heard me," pushes the teacher, "you're disturbing my class. Next sound you make, you go straight to the principals office. I won't tolerate your inappropriate behaviour. This is your second and last warning." He states sternly.

Before Cook gets the chance to his comeback, the bell rings. Guess you could say he was saved by the bell. God was he lucky this time. Mr.Lamb is definitely my new favourite teacher.

I rush out of class, avoiding the pretentious looks of others, and of course trying desperately to escape Cook.

He rushes quickly after me, I can hear his footsteps clacking the concrete behind me. I reach my locker and try to open my lock hastily as he approaches me.

"You almost got me into fucking shit load of problem in there," he states.

"Me? You brought this all on yourself asshole." I point out.

He doesn't retort, instead he stands there, examining me. He's so weird.

"Wow," he finally lets out.

"What now?" I spat at him.

"I've never seen you this feisty. I like it." He sound amazed.

I rolled my eyes at him. God, he's infuriating.

"Urg. Go away."

"You don't tell me what to do. I'm a free citizen!" He yells loud enough for the other students to hear. Some girls giggle from far, finding him charming.

Katy appears between us. She always chooses the right timing. She jumps in his arms as she squeaks, "you're back, I've missed you, you crazy bastard."

He beams at her, giving her that famous wink she can't resist.

"You know I'm a very busy lad." He coax.

"Sure you are," I scoff at him.

"What's that you say?" he challenges.

"Nothing," I mumble to myself.

"So what's new? Any new tattoos recently?" she questions.

"Nah, just the one on my hand" he shrugs.

I discreetly walk away to find refuge in my next class. I couldn't care less about his inked skin. Hopefully he won't be in this class as well. Or else, I think I'm going to kill myself there on the spot. A weight was lifted off my shoulders as the math teacher names all the student in the class, without pronouncing the devils name. But on the other hand, there's Kent in my class. If it's not one, it's the other. What misfortune I have. At least I'm seated next to Mark, the only other human I can stand. Also probably the only male I can stand. I'm not sure if it's because he's gay though. It doesn't matter anyways, he's cool. Probably my only friend here besides Katy.

The hour passes fast and I successfully avoided any contact with Kent.

Katy and I sat down on the bleachers. Peacefully embracing the cool air. Until Cook barged into my bubble followed by his smoker friends. He literally layed down on my lap and puffed his cigarette smoke onto my face. I cough loudly as I pushed his male body off of me. I got to admit he was pretty heavy for a skinny guy.

"One day you won't be able to resist me anymore and you'll beg for my head pressed on those thighs of yours," he winks.

"And that day will never come because I rather die than have you anywhere near me," I spat.

He shrugs unoffended, "At least I have girls throw themselves at me all the time. Unlike you, guys don't even know you exist." he defends himself.

"Asshole." I say standing up and walking away.

I hear few of his friends laughing while Katy lashes out at him for his crude words.

I hear him justify himself, "She practically asked for it. It was just a joke."

There's always some truth behind a joke but I don't care. He isn't any better than me, we all know that there's not much to him than his good looks and filthy comments. He probably won't ever graduate from High School. I almost pity him.

Distracted once more by my thoughts, naturally I wasn't looking where i was headed. I bump harshly into someone. I mumble a sorry before rushing away. I took in my surrounding, I found myself in the middle of a soccer practice. I honestly have to stop losing touch with reality, this has become a serious issue. I head back to the bleachers. Half way back, a hand grabs my arm lightly, stopping me in my tracks.

Oh for the love of God not him again.

As I was about to lash out, I stopped when I realized it was Kent. I wasn't expecting it to be him.

"Hey," he says warily.

"Hi," I say, using the same tone.

"I um um wanted to apologize for the other night." He purses his lips.

He nearly knocked the breathe out of me. He looked so damn cute and vulnerable. It felt like the Kent I knew from all those years was back. Sweet, affectionate, loving Kent. I inwardly slapped myself for being this pathetic. I need to focus dammit.

Once focused, I realize that I have to choose quickly from one of three options;

First consists of me grilling him on the stop, telling him how much of a shitty person he has become. Asking him how could he possibly do that to me? To anyone for that matter. If he had any feelings for me at all? But then I'd risk embarrassing myself furthermore. My feelings might be crystal clear for him now. He'd put the pieces of the puzzle together. Get the hint. He'd have the satisfaction of an other girls undying love for him. I'd look clingy and too emotional.

Second option, I could play stupid. Answering him something along the line of "What for?" "I don't understand? You haven't done anything wrong!" "What night?" I just need to look completely clueless and frown more than I usually do. But who am I kidding? I still would have never pulled it off. I'm not oblivious and he'll know that I'm lying. That would certainly make things awkward between us. And I'll look even more stupid than stupid. Yeah, that makes sense.

Last option is to act cool. Just like Katy taught me. Act unaffected, uninterested, unconcerned, etc. 'The other person might think twice about their mistake and they'd feel worst than you do, knowing that they didn't succeed in hurting you.' Or in my case, if they did, they'd never know it so they wouldn't benefit from it.

Why am I overthinking this so much?

I calm myself before looking straight into his dark brown eyes.

"It's fine," I respond nonchalantly.

This surprises him as much as it does to me. My voice was so cold.. I'm pretty sure, I saw his face fall a little, like he was hurt? Good. Now, he'll probably understands how I felt all this time. But I still couldn't help to feel a pang of guilt lurching in my stomach. I ignored it.

"You sure?" he asks gently, unsure of what to say.

"Yep," I shrug. I acted as if his almost-kiss represented dust to me. Dust that I could easily brush off of my shoulder.

In that moment, I couldn't be more grateful for the acting classes my parents agreed me to attend two summers in a row. In some situations, they actually payed off well, more than I'd ever expected.

"Oh okay," he sounded somewhat disappointed.

I nod. Having nothing to tell him anymore. Deep down, I had to tell him everything. But to keep my walls up and keep cool, I had to push everything back down. Again.

I returned to Katy, dismissing myself from his little chat.

"Did you handle it like a cold hearted bitch?" she asks as I join her.

I nod.

"Good. I've taught you well. He deserves it anyway. Hopefully it could teach him a lesson." she reassures me.

An annoying voice interrupts us, "You know love, I could help you with boys, well Kent." he winks.

"Could you fucking stop ease dropping on my life!" I shout, raising my arms in exasperation.

"No can do love," he smirks.

"Call me love one more time and I'll punch you square in the face," I threatened.

"Okay-okay," he forfeits, holding his hand protectively in front me in surrender.

There's a short pause before he adds, "love."

As much as I wish for the day that I could wrap my fingers around his neck and strangle him to death, I would never touch him. Because a) I never use physical violence and b) I'm scared to catch anything from him.

I turn away from him.

"That's what I thought. You don't have it in you love," he dares, pushing all my red buttons.

I pivot swiftly to Cook, catching him off guard, and I pushed him as hard as I can. My hands pressed on his hard chest with all my might. It didn't do much affect but he took a step back. He takes hold of my wrists and pulls me roughly to his chest. A smug look plasters on his face.

"It's not much, but it's a start," he whispers darkly to me.

I didn't process what has happening, I was stunned. My brain was incapable to give the signal to my mouth to answer. I couldn't come up with an insult. My body was rigid from fear? The next thing I know, he was rubbing my hands all over his chest, flexing underneath my touch. Well not my touch because he was making me touch him, wait what. I turned back to functional mode as I stepped away from him, tugging hard on my wrist. I couldn't escape his grip.

"Let go of me you-you creep," I demand.

"Next time you want to touch my chest you could just ask, love," he sneers, letting go of me.

He gives me a last wink before leaving me there.