Backstories

"Toothless!" I called wondering where he had got to "hey Astrid, have you seen..," I was cut short when Toothless bounded over, pushed me down and started licking me.

"Toothless, you know that doesn't wash out" I laughed as he backed away. Astrid held out her hand and helped me up "we should probably head back soon, I'm sure Heather will be worrying about you" she said. I couldn't help but pick up on the way that she said Heather's name, almost with jealousy.

I chose to ignore it and convinced myself I was hearing things. "So, how exactly did you end up here in the first place?" I asked curiously. She looked up at me and smiled "all I remember is that I used to live on an island which would be attacked by dragons regularly. One night, not long after I turned ten, I decided to go outside and see the dragons for myself" she sat down and gestured for me to sit.

"I ended up in one of the forests where I found Shadow, she only looked to be my age and I couldn't help myself, I slowly walked over and cut her loose. I could hear the rest of my village being attacked and the chief was yelling because he had lost his son somewhere in the village, that kid didn't know how to stay put either, and that was when Shadow took me" she paused for a minute "she brought me back to the nest and they raised me, this is a fairly new nest, probably moved here about three years ago" she concluded.

"And you never thought about going back?"
"Once or twice, but they wouldn't understand, you are the first person I've come across who doesn't try to kill the dragons" she sighed "anyway, enough about you, what's your story?"
"We should probably stay sitting" I laughed.

"Long story short, my village, much like yours, was attacked regularly by dragons. One night a couple weeks after my fifteenth birthday there was a particularly bad attack I didn't listen to people telling me to stay inside as usual and I shot Toothless down. After that I befriended him and then eventually he had to reveal himself because a Monsterous Nightmare was attacking me. Then we battled the Red Death and I got knocked out, when I woke up the next day, at least I think it was the next day, I was missing a leg" I rambled.

"That's the short version?" She was shocked. I nodded and stood up "wow, that explains the leg then" she noted almost to herself. We jumped onto our dragons backs and took off "hey Hiccup, could we not tell the rest of the gang about me, I only told you because I feel like I can trust you" Astrid shouted over to me.

I didn't want to hide things from Heather but I knew Astrid wouldn't want me to share her life story with people she didn't fully trust yet "okay" I replied as I made up my mind.

Hope you enjoyed the new chapter 💖