Hide and Seek

I couldn't look my son in the eye for the next two weeks. It wasn't because I was angry at him. It was because I felt bad for him. He was traumatized.

" Niko! Wanna play hide and go seek?" I could hear the beautiful Damiana ask happily.
Niko was silent. He was just mute most of the time now.
When he spoke he spoke to his mother not me. When he cried he cried to his mother not me.

I wanted to believe what Dami said, that Niko was afraid I was angry at him. But all this neglect from my own son makes me feel like nothing. Nonexistent. Useless.
I felt like what if he was angry at me?
I couldn't help him or save him and I couldn't help nor save my own mother either.
Pathetic.

" Pa...pa..."
his voice broke through my thoughts. Finally he spoke to me!
" What is it it Niko?" I asked with a faint smile.
" C-can you... play with us?..."
My smile grew even wider.
" Of course!"
I got up, picked him up and spun him around.

" I'll count while you two go hide!"
I haven't done this in years and yet I'm so eager to do it right now!
" One... Two...Three.. Four..."
I hear the two of them giggle and run as the go to hide in the empty, wartorn street. It's gotten to the point we can all protect ourselves so having a little fun doesn't hurt every once in a while.

After I stopped counting I yelled " Ready or not here I come!" I started
trying to use my incubus powers to sense where they were. Strangely enough the thing overwhelming my senses was a very, VERY powerful demon. I never even noticed it until now.

My eyes widened with fear as I ran towards where I sensed the demon. I had to get to it first before anyone else did and before it got to them.
My heart raced as my eyes dilated and I could hear myself breathing oddly.
They're fine Lloyd. They are fine! Stop worrying. They're fine...

I wanted to reassure myself that they were ok. But sometimes reassuring yourself makes the misery even worst.

" Lloyd!!!" I turned to the voice and alas it was none other than my hopefully future wife. She came from behind the pillar and ran to my side.
" You heard that right?!"
" Heard what?"
" There was an odd shriek earlier!! I'm worried Lloyd, we need to find Niko ASAP!!"

" I know and I need to defeat whatever demon is nearby..."
" You can't! It's dangerous and I just can't lose you."

She put her soft hands onto my face as she said this and you know, I would say no one could say no to that face but...
" You won't lose me." I moved her hand from my face. I just know I can do this on my own. Besides I need to let out this anger right now.
I walk away from Dami towards the "scent", increasing my pace with every step.

I ran all the way to an empty...garden. It was extremely empty and quiet, yet I could feel that the demon was only a few feet away. I walked aimlessly searching for this thing until I finally screamed
" WHERE ARE YOU?!"
The scream shook the ground. Then suddenly I heard crying. It sounded like...my son when he cried but...different.

I went over to the crying noise and my jaw dropped.
" N-Niko?"
" Don't look at me!! I'm a monster!!"
" N-niko! No you aren't... I was looking for a demon so I could protect you fro-"
" I am the demon!!" he cried louder.
" No you aren't!" I tried to comfort him but I lied.

I guess... My demon half and Dami's demon half caused Niko to have more demonic attributes than anything else. His two toned eyes seemed to be slits. His skin was extremely pale and his hair was still dark as the night. He had the sharpest fangs I've ever seen and the pointiest claws on his hands. He even had a little tail and horns. He didn't have any wings though.

I hugged him.
" How long have you been hiding this?"
" Ever since grandma died. Mommy knows."
" She-"
" I told her not to tell... I'm sorry papa."
I hugged him even tighter and stroked his poofy hair.
" Shhh. It's okay Niko. You aren't a monster and me and mommy still love you very very much. We will never ever hate you nor will we force you to do anything."

He cried even more. I guess it's because Dami and I don't look like him. My mother suppressed my demonic qualities once I was born with a spell and I'm not sure how I'd look without it. Yet it seems like his feelings are connected to his demon powers... I wonder if he killed people after mother died.

" Niko."
The boy looked up as I called his name.
" Do you want mommy and I to show you my true form?"
He nodded as I wiped my tears.
I knew what I had to do.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

" You want me to WHAT?!" Death scowled.
" I just want you to take me to the Council so I can ask them some questions." I smirked knowing this would be extremely troublesome.
" One does not simply ask the Council questions. And you do know they want you dead right?"
" Yeah and?"
" They don't care about Damiana and they will kill you. Is that what you want?"

My mouth twisted at the question.
"No of course n-"
Death pulled out his scythe and kept it inches away from my neck.
" Then don't risk your life cause you'd be risking Dami and Niko's happiness!"
Glaring at him I barked back.

" But I need to lift this spell Death! I need to unlock my demon side so my son won't think he's the only one that looks like that."
" Like what?"

" Like an actual demon."
Death folded his arms across his chest.
" I feel like declining your offer will cause you to try and do it anyway..."
" Yeah pretty much. I want my son to be as happy as he can be after your siblings forced him to suffer."
" Well that wasn't my fault."
" Well, you didn't stop them... So it kinda is. So you owe me."

He clenched his fists and then threw them into the air.
" Fine! " He summoned a portal and commanded " Let's make this quick without my siblings knowing."
Good, this'll do it I'm sure.