Chapter One

1956

The cool, crisp Fall wind slapped MaryJane Campbell in the face as the cars whipped by. She stood on the sidewalk, facing the busy road, waiting for her fiancé, Kevin, to pull up in his black Cadillac. He was coming to pick her up for lunch to discuss the wedding that was to be happening in three short months.

What a workaholic, she thought, impatiently. It was getting chilly and she didn't want to stay out in the cold and get sick. She sighed and stomped back towards her work building. Her dress flew around her as she walked into the wind.

MaryJane stomped her way towards the large group of screaming girls surrounded a nearby building. She knew exactly why everyone stood there day and night for the past three days. She caught glimpse of the sign taped onto the window of the building yesterday, when she was waiting on Kevin. The sign said 'Elvis Presley New Record'. Ever since that sign went up, all the girls in town screamed whenever they heard the news.

MaryJane on the other hand, didn't see what the big deal was. She had no intentions whatsoever of listening to that kind of music. Her parents and other older people told her Elvis Presley was a sex addict. She thought people needed to be more proper, like her own family.

She pushed her way through the crowds and finally made her way into her work building. She climbed up the stairs and turned into her office and stomped her way towards her chair and slumped herself into it.

"Everything okay?" A voice called from the doorway.

MaryJane turned around to see her best friend, Charlotte's bright smiling face framed with blonde curls pinned around her head, making her hair look shorter.

"Not really," MaryJane sighed, putting her fingers to her temples.

Charlotte rushed into the room and shut the door behind her. "What's wrong?"

MaryJane hesitated. She knew she would get the same "your fiancé is a jerk and you know it" lecture if she told her. She heard it almost every day.

"It's about Kevin again, isn't it?"

MaryJane sighed and gave her a slight nod.

"What did he do this time?"

"Nothing."

"MaryJane, stop your lying, and tell me the truth!"

"He didn't pick me up for lunch to plan the wedding," she mumbled.

Charlotte threw her arms in the air. "Just like yesterday! When is he going to grow up and take some responsibility!"

"He probably had work to do."

"That's no excuse!"

MaryJane shook her head in frustration. She knew Kevin was doing his best to be successful in his job, but he could at least not make the plans with her in the first place if he was going to stand her up.

"You know what, MaryJane? Meredith and I will take you out tomorrow night. It'll be like a bachelorette party for you. You need to get away from all the stress that Kevin brings," Charlotte said, sitting on the desk and crossed her legs.

"A party? No! Charlotte, I have to get work done, and Kevin wouldn't-"

"Forget what Kevin thinks! He stood you up two days in a row! You need to have a little fun."

Parties weren't MaryJane's thing. She was too sophisticated for that. She had better things to do. Even as a teenager, she wasn't interested in going to a party. Mostly because her parents taught her better than that.

But a break would be nice. After all, she had been working overtime and she deserved sometime to relax and have fun.

"What will we do at this party?"

"It'll be a surprise," Charlotte winked and with that strutted out the door.

All MaryJane had to do now, was tell Kevin she couldn't see him tomorrow evening.

---

Kevin drove down the city roads to his apartment in the near country towns. He drove as slowly as possible so he wouldn't have to listen to the lecture MaryJane would give him. Although, he had started to get less of those, he could tell she was annoyed. Maybe if he kept this up, there won't be another lecture. He could only hope.

He came to the stop light and turned left at the edge of town and eased into the parking lot where he saw his fiancé's car and a few other cars that belonged to the other apartment owners.

He trudged himself to MaryJane's apartment and pushed the door open. She was sitting at her desk, writing a few things down.

"Hello, dear," she said, without looking up.

"Hello," he mumbled before dropping his briefcase onto the floor.

"Darling, why don't you take your things to your apartment. We have to talk about a few things."

"Oh..okay," Kevin said, picking up his briefcase and walking across the hall to his crappy apartment. The only reason he moved into it was because MaryJane's parents offered to buy one for each of them so they'd be close to each other. He wasn't going to say no to a free apartment.

Kevin knew he was going to get yelled at because he didn't show up for her little lunch date. He didn't give a damn about what the wedding was like, as long as they married, he was fine. He loved her, and her money.

He turned back into MaryJane's door and sat down across from her now sitting on the leather couch. He prepared for the hell that would be let loose on him.

"So, Kevin, I won't be home tomorrow evening," she said, staring at the floor, fumbling with her fingers.

"What?" Kevin blinked, confused.

MaryJane looked up at him. "I will be with friends tomorrow."

"MaryJane, what about our dinner? We do that every night!" Kevin didn't care about the dinners either. He was just trying to re-earn brownie points after forgetting to meet her for lunch.

"Darling, it's important. It's just one dinner we won't have together," she said.

"If it makes you happy," he grumbled.

She stood up, excitedly and kissed his forehead. "Oh, thank you!" And with that she went off to make their dinner.

A/N; I realize this wasn't a very interesting chapter, but next chapter will be more exciting. Please be sure to comment and vote! It'd mean a lot.

Thanks!

Xoxo

-PYW