Chapter Thirty-Four

Christmas 1957
Bright and early in the morning, Elvis, MaryJane, Charlotte, Vernon, Gladys, Dodger, and the Memphis Mafia gather around the living room. The tree was lit and decorated with tinsel and the sweet scent of breakfast filled their nostrils as they opened presents.

MaryJane had bought everyone a little something. The boys and Vernon all received a tie in the color she thought looked best. For Dodger, Gladys, and Charlotte, she got them bracelets. For Elvis, she had created him a photo album filled with all the pictures they had taken together. He loved it.

Everything seemed to back to normal again. While they watched everyone open presents, Elvis would occasionally kiss MaryJane's cheek as she would smile back at him. All the family was proud to have their old MaryJane back. Graceland was filled with laughter these days, not tears.

After all the presents that were under the tree were ripped open, Red cleaned the shredded wrapping paper from the floor. Charlotte put away all the dishes from breakfast, while everyone else sand carols around the piano.

After everyone had settled down, Elvis stood. "I have an announcement," he said.

Everyone moved to find a seat in the den as Elvis stood before them. MaryJane smiled at his obvious uneasy face. Is he going to propose? She thought as her hands shook with nervousness. Her eyes hovered over his body, looking for a box or a ring. She stopped looking as he pulled an envelope out of his pocket. From the look on his face, she knew it was something serious. Her heart stopped. Was he ill? Had something happened with the recording companies?

He audibly took a deep breath. "I got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago," he started. The tone of his voice was weary as looked between his mother and MaryJane. "I didn't want to bring this up until all of y'all were in the same room so I could tell each of you how much you mean to me. I didn't wait to try to ruin Christmas."

MaryJane studied him as did the rest of his family. What was this about? Why did he act like this announcement was so terrible? Her breathing got heavier as he continued

"I love each of you so much and I couldn't bare to live without any of you. I don't think I let y'all know that as much I should," he chuckled, nervously.

Everyone stayed silent. Even the mafia didn't joke or laugh like the usually did. Everyone knew Elvis had something serious going on.

"I'm proud to say that I was drafted into the army to serve this country."

The room started spinning for MaryJane. Everyone but her got up to give him hugs and tell them they love him. She heard Gladys and Dodger sob while the men patted his back with good luck.

Proud? How could he proud to go into the army? He was leaving behind everyone he loved and could potentially die or get hurt. Why didn't he tell MaryJane to her face? Why did it have to be like this? And on Christmas?

She was aware that Elvis needed her support now more than ever, but she couldn't muster any more support for him. She was exhausted and tired of trying to keep him happy.

Before she realized what she was doing, she began to sob uncontrollably. All the eyes in the room stuck to her.

"I think we need a moment alone," Elvis murmured to his family before everyone left the den.

MaryJane felt an arm reach around her small, shaking body. She tried to shrug it off, but with no avail. Elvis pulled her closer into his side while she hyperventilated.

"It's okay, baby," he whispered into her ear. "I'll be all right. They'll let Momma and Daddy come with me and one day they'll let you come too, after we get married and all."

"I don't care, I don't want to come with you," she yelled. It was the only way the words would come out.

He sat silently before pushing her chin up so she would look at him. "It's not my fault I'm leaving, MaryJane," he said, sternly. "I can't control that I was drafted. That's the whole point of being drafted. I didn't voluntarily do this."

"I know," she mumbled.

"Everything will be okay. I'll make sure I do everything to stay safe so I can come home to you," he whispered into her hair.

MaryJane slowly stood. "I can't do this," she whispered. She slowly marched to her room to gather her belongings. She locked the door behind her and ignored Elvis as he pounded his fist on the door.

She had no idea where to go or how she was going to get there. All she wanted was to leave and this time she wasn't coming back. Elvis wasn't what she wanted anymore. She didn't need to be under the stress of fame.

The lights were down low so her room was dark. She couldn't handle the headaches the lights would give her. After packing, she treaded to the long window and glanced at the snow covered ground.

What do I do?

She had no plans. She couldn't call home. She couldn't ask Elvis for any help whatsoever. She was stuck. But she for damn sure going to leave Graceland.

The palms of her hands were ice cold against the window. She noticed the flurries of snow blow through the wind. Her eyes followed the flakes to the ground. Footprints scattered across the white ground and a few lead the bushes below her window. Odd. She glanced around for any signs of someone and she noticed a figure below her. She furrowed her brows and squinted.

"Oh my God!"

Bang!

---

A/N: hey!
It's been about a year since I've updated this story. I hope I still have readers! I'm sorry that I took so long off!
I will update soon and I hope you guys like this cliffhanger!!

PYW