Chapter Thirty-Six

Pregnant? MaryJane couldn't be. She was shocked and scared and didn't know what she was going to do. Part of her was extremely angry. She already was aware of the fact Elvis was the father. Of course, another obstacle when she tried to leave him. The last thing she wanted was to be stuck with him and be unhappy. She hated the Hollywood Life. She hated girls kissing him, and now he'd be leaving for the military and she couldn't handle having a baby on her own.

She sighed and placed her hand on her still flat stomach. The doctors had informed her she had been pregnant for three months. Stupid. How could I not have known this long? She nearly smacked herself in the face. How did she always get herself in these situations?

"MaryJane," the nurse poked her head through the door. "You have some visitors. They've been here since you've arrived but we didn't know you're real name and all-"

"Where's Kevin and Alan?" She interrupted the rambling nurse.

"They left after your surgery. They told me they'd be back later," she said. "Are you up for some other visitors though?"

MaryJane knew it was Elvis and she almost wanted to panic, but knew she couldn't show it. For now, she couldn't act like anything was wrong.

"Yes," MaryJane said. "Please only one at a time though."

The nurse nodded and slipped out the door. MaryJane could barely breathe. She couldn't explain any of this to Elvis or any of family. She didn't even know whether or not to believe Kevin and Alan. The story made sense but they've lied to her before.

"MaryJane."

A wave of relieve fell over her as she lifted her head and saw Charlotte's tear soaked faced. Her usually neat hair, was a complete mess. It made MaryJane feel so guilty.

"Oh my God," Charlotte whimpered, grasping her in a hug. "What the hell happened?"

"Good question," MaryJane chuckled, dryly.

Charlotte shook her head. "Look, I know you've been through a lot but we live in that house. We need answers."

She sighed. "I wish I knew more. All I know is that I was in my room and someone shot me. Kevin and Alan said they followed a man who was going to rob Graceland. The man saw me, shot me and ran off."

She could see the disbelief in her best friend's face. "You really believe what those alcoholics said? MaryJane, we need to get the police here and tell them Kevin shot you! You know he did!"

MaryJane waved her hand, as if to tell Charlotte to calm down. "Listen. I can't have Kevin in jail right now. We have bigger issues now."

"What is wrong with you, MaryJane? Bigger issues? What's bigger than being shot by your ex?" She grabbed her by the shoulders.

She sat quietly and waited for Charlotte to stop ranting. She always reacted horribly to situations like this and the fact that she hated Kevin wasn't helping.

"Charlotte, please listen to me," MaryJane pleaded with her calmly. "I really need you to help me. It's hard to tell what Kevin did but I need him here for now at least."

"Why the hell would you need him? You've been running away from him for months! He's left you, abused you, cheated on you, not to mention the fact that he's hit your best friend! How could you say you need him-"