Chapter Sixteen

The piece of paper MaryJane held in her hands was ripping her heart out of her chest. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't put it down or stop staring at it.

All she wanted was to go to the little grocery store to pick up some cooking oil like her parents asked her to. Instead, she came back to her parent's home with cooking oil and a stupid magazine.

She had nearly dropped her purse and everything in her hands when she saw the magazine on display. The man she had slept with less than a month ago was kissing a blonde tramp!

She drove home as fast as she could, have her mom the cooking oil, and ran up the the stairs into her old room and flopped on the bed.

How could she be so ignorant? She had to have known that he would break her heart into pieces and stomp on it. After all, he is a sex symbol for a reason.

She should have listened to her parents' opinions about Elvis Presley. All he is is a sex addict. She should have never got involved with Elvis!

But he was sweet, kind, and caring. All of that was why she fell for him. He didn't boss her around, he let her be independent.

There was war going on inside of MaryJane and Team Elvis had more men standing. She wanted to be back in his strong arms and to hear his southern accent again and to lay in his bed and feel his lips travel the length of her body like they had many nights. Oh, how she missed it. She missed the countless nights they made love and left her wanting more. She never knew someone could make her feel like that.

But that was supposed to be Kevin's job.

She fell back on the bed, crying as reality hit her. She belonged to Kevin and Elvis belonged to the blonde on the magazine.

Grabbing the magazine, she ran down the stairs and stood in front of the fireplace and tossed it in.

She sighed as relief came over her. She'd never have to see that stupid magazine again.

"MaryJane?" her mother called as she walked in the front door.

"Yes, mother?"

"The horses need to be fed."

She sighed and went out to the barn and did as she was told, drowning in her own thoughts.

---

Elvis stood in front of the drunken Kevin, towering over him. He knew two punches could have him knocked to the ground.

"What the hell do you want with MaryJane?" Kevin squawked at Elvis.

"To treat her like she should be treated."

Kevin growled, "That's my job!"

"You sure as hell ain't doing your job as good as you think you are, pal," Elvis smirked.

Kevin looked as if he was about to blow up. It didn't scare Elvis, it entertained him.

"Why don't you get the hell outta here?" Kevin said, nearly tripping over his own foot.

"Why don't you tell me where MaryJane is and I'll be on my way," Elvis negotiated.

"MaryJanie is miiine," Kevin slurred, making Elvis chuckle.

"Okay, sure," he chucked some more. "Tell me where she is so I can bring her back here for you."

Elvis felt like he was talking to a little toddler. He just wanted to set little Kevin in the timeout chair.

Or beat the hell out of him...

"No, she's mine!" Kevin yelled, throwing an off punch at Elvis.

Elvis laughed as Kevin's fist swung and touched his arm. In one swift move, Elvis' fist hit Kevin square in the mouth, sending him to the asphalt.

Holding Kevin down by the neck, Elvis threatened, "Tell me where MaryJane is and I'll consider letting you go without a scratch."

"I don't think so," Kevin cackled.

"Really, now?" Elvis said, pulling his arm back like he was about to punch. If he did, he could break the loser's nose.

"She's with her parents in the country," Kevin spilled, cowardly.

"Get me an address," Elvis commanded.

He let Kevin up and he stumbled away to find the address. Minutes later, he came back with a piece of paper with an address scribbled on it.

An Elvis was off to find MaryJane. He drove down winding back roads, gravel crunching beneath the tires, dust flying by.

Finally, he made his way to the address Kevin wrote down for him. It was beautiful; the grass was bright green, the picket fence stretched from the the little red barn to the clear pond on the other side of the land. But the thing that made it the most beautiful, was the girl wearing a vibrant yellow sundress, carrying hay.

Elvis pulled his Cadillac under a tree across the road so he could remain unseen. He smiled as he saw MaryJane laugh while playing with the horses. Excitedly, he walked toward her.

Fully aware of the fact that this could be a huge mistake or a beautiful miracle, Elvis took a deep breath and continued to walk toward the girl he knew he loved. He felt desperate. Would MaryJane agree? Would she call him pathetic?

Ignoring the negative thoughts and worries, he stopped himself next to the fence where MaryJane fed the horses, oblivious to his presence.

Clearing his throat, he said, "MaryJane."

Her eyes met his and quickly filled with shock. She dropped they bundle of hay that she was holding as the color from her face was drained away.

"Elvis?"