Chapter Twenty-Nine

1957

Months had passed since MaryJane had broke the news to Kevin, and since then, he started drinking again. The amount of alcohol he drank was becoming more and more excessive.

Every morning, he turned the television on and popped a bottle of bourbon open and waited to see his ex-fiancé on the screen. It wasn't uncommon to see MaryJane's face on the news with her new flame.

Kevin kept up to date with the news about Elvis Presley and her. After Loving You came out, he began filming his third movie, Jailhouse Rock. As of now, the famous couple was back at Graceland because of the completion of filming.

And as for Kevin, he had just recently moved back into his apartment back in the city. Betty Anne and Joel knew he had hit MaryJane, forgave him, and continued to treat him like their own son. Eventually, they gave him the okay to move on and forget their daughter.

As Kevin unpacked his bags, he couldn't help but miss MaryJane and think about how bad he screwed up. Even after watching MaryJane and Elvis swap spit time after time on the television, he didn't want to move on. He was still in love with MaryJane Campbell.

He was dreading the day he would hear the news of her new last name. MaryJane Presley. He nearly gagged at the thought of his beautiful fiancé getting married to the sack of shit.

Sighing, he was aware of the fact that he would have to get used to hearing MaryJane Presley no matter how bad he didn't want to.

After another sip of the burning alcohol, he cleaned himself up before heading over to Alan's house.

Alan had invited Kevin over to his place in hopes of mending his buddy's broken heart with cheap liquor and half naked women that only promised regret and a killer hangover.

So, Kevin hopped in his car and drove down the city roads until he found Alan's crappy apartment, which clearly showed a poor twenty-two year old lived there.

"Kev! What's up, man?"

Kevin grabbed his bag full of booze out of the passenger's side as his friend strode into the driveway. They hugged and went inside to start the party.

"Man, I can't believe you're finally single again," Alan chuckled, pouring them both a glass of alcohol.

"Neither can I," Kevin muttered under his breath.

Alan slid the glass across the table to Kevin. That's where two years of working as a bartender came in handy: impressing your friends. Kevin just chuckled at his cockiness before putting the glass to his lips.

"So what does it feel like to be dumped for a celebrity?"

Kevin rolled his eyes. A stupid question was bound to come out of Alan's mouth sooner or later.

"It's not a good feeling," Kevin mumbled, running his fingers through his light brown hair.

"I imagine so," Alan agreed.

Kevin sighed. Alan didn't know anything about losing a girl he loved; he was with a new one every night. He wished he could relate to him and feel the same pain he felt.

"I just don't see what he's got that I don't have," Kevin whispered.

"Loads of money."

Kevin let out a bitter laugh as he fumbled with the empty shot glass in front of him.

"Do you think MaryJane only wants him for his money?" He asked, wrinkling his forehead.

As disrespectful as that sounded, he knew MaryJane had changed from a sweet, innocent girl to a rebellious woman and money was something she didn't have much since she lost her job.

"I don't know, Kev," Alan said, sincerity stitched into his voice. "MaryJane's a nice girl and she fell out of love, I guess. Presley must have given her the feeling or spark again."

Kevin didn't respond as he lost himself in his thoughts.

"Don't get too worked up about it, bud. I'm sure it's just a little fling and he'll be gone soon," Alan said, pouring more to drink.

"He'll be gone," Kevin repeated blankly, clearly caught in his thoughts.

An idea popped into his head right then. He nearly shuddered at how evil his plan was. But he didn't care how wicked or villainous it sounded, he was desperate to get MaryJane back and nothing could be too extreme of a plan.

Alan saw the look in Kevin's eyes and he knew something horrible was going to happen.

"Kevin, no," Alan said, grabbing his best friend's wrist.

"I'm going to kill Elvis Presley."

---

Giggling and the sound of eggs cracking was heard from the kitchen of Graceland. MaryJane and Minnie Mae, Elvis' grandmother, stood by the stove, baking a cake for no special occasion.

"I'm still surprised you ain't got a ring on your finger yet!" Dodger chuckled, pouring the sugar in to the bowl.

"I don't think he'll ever pop the question," MaryJane sighed.

"You never know."

MaryJane raised her eyebrows. "Do you know something I don't, Dodger?"

She just cackled as she put the pan into the oven and took her apron off and walked to the den where the Memphis Mafia and Charlotte sat and MaryJane followed.

"How's that cake comin' along?" Elvis asked, putting his arm around MaryJane.

"Yeah, we're starving," Charlie muttered. "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse."

MaryJane smirked. "Then why don't ya? The cake won't be ready for another half an hour."

"Well, those two are making me lose my appetite," Joe motioned towards Red and Charlotte making out on the couch.

Red and Charlotte had stayed together, which shocked everyone. Charlotte wasn't one to settle down to one man but it was obvious she liked him a lot. They could barely keep their hands off each other.

The boys pretended to gag while MaryJane rolled her eyes.

"Y'all don't know what it's like to be in love," she said, flipping her long hair over her shoulder.

"I do," Elvis murmured, kissing her forehead.

She smiled, widely. This was the first time she had been happy in a long time. She had an amazing boyfriend, great friends, and a caring family. All of that was something she couldn't say she had before.

As the timer shrieked, they each got a piece of cake and sat around the den, laughing and eating the cake. Every now and then, Charlotte and Red or Elvis and MaryJane would lean over and exchange a kiss while the boys would groan or hoot and holler.

MaryJane was in love with her new family and every moment they all spent together. Nothing could ruin the relation they had or this moment together.

Nothing.

---

A/N: wassup.

I recently changed the Author's Note at the very beginning of the book. It's more informal and gives more information about specific characters. I included a FAQ section with questions that I have received. If there is a question I did not add to the Author's Note that you may have, PM it to me.

So, be sure to check out that first Author's Note especially if you have questions or have concerns with content.

Thanks so much!

PYW