Chapter Seventeen

Hatred was foreign to MaryJane. She believed in loving each and every person. As the Bible says, Love thy neighbor. MaryJane wanted to fulfill that verse.

Unfortunately, she found that goal very difficult to achieve when she found herself looking at the man standing before her. She had a variety of emotions inside of her; shock, hatred, confusion.

But yet, she still felt comfort when she saw him. Was it the crooked, charming smile of his? It had to be.

"MaryJane."

The sound of his voice was all it took for the memories and feelings to be brought back. Desperately, she wanted to be in his arms again. He was so close to her, just a few feet between them. Was it really him?

"Elvis?"

He took a few steps closer to her, causing her heart to pound heavily against her chest. She wondered if he could hear it.

The next thing she knew, she was in his arms, tightly being held against him. Sparks flew throughout her body, it felt like magic.

Then, she remembered the magazine she held in her hands earlier this morning. The man whose arms she was in now, was just kissing another girl. How disgusting!

Pressing her small hands to his chest, she pushed him away from her.

"What are you doing here, Elvis?" she asked. "How did you find me?"

"I just wanted to talk."

Placing her fingers on her temples, she took a deep breath. She was sick and tired of the talks that end up turning into something else. Something that hurts and devastates her.

"Maybe I don't want to talk anymore," she said, taking a step back.

"I'm askin' you. Please just sit down and talk to me," Elvis begged her.

Could one discussion hurt? She couldn't see how. If something bad were to happen, her parents would be there, right?

"My parents are going to be leaving soon," she said, picking up some of the hay she had dropped. "Then, we'll talk."

A heart shattering smile appeared on his face as he said, "Thank you."

---

MaryJane's parents had left the house a little over ten minutes ago. After cleaning the horses up a bit, with the help of Elvis, they ended up in her room and MaryJane couldn't help the shameful thoughts running through her head. Would there be more than a talk?

"Are you ready to talk now?" She asked, sitting on her bed.

The fact that they were alone in MaryJane's bedroom with the single bed made her somewhat nervous. In the past, there wasn't much of a problem with one bed. For an unknown reason, it was different now.

"I've missed you," Elvis said, closing the distance between them in MaryJane's bedroom.

As he approached her, she turned around to her mirror to remove her pearl earrings. She could feel his cool, sweet breath on her neck as he wrapped his arms around her.

Her heart skipped a beat, her legs turned to jelly. Elvis Presley made her feel weak, and she hated it. Even though he was kind and sweet to her, she still held a grudge for what he did to her.

Don't let him trick you, she thought. Don't fall back in his trap.

"This is quite a talk," she murmured, freeing herself from his arms.

It was silent as MaryJane increased the distance between them. Feeling Elvis' eyes on her, she placed her shoes in her closet, trying to occupy herself.

"You don't have to do this, MaryJane," he whispered, keeping his eyes on her.

"What am I doing?" she asked, oblivious to whatever he meant.

He shook his head. "You're acting like you don't know me. Like nothing happened," he said, his voice getting louder. "You're trying to keep your distance from me."

"No, I-"

"I know you're using your fiancé as an excuse," his voice dropped back down to a whisper. "But you're clearly scared of him."

The man was good at reading her. So far, everything he had said was correct. Inevitably, she was going to deny it.

"I am not scared of Kevin," she exclaimed, throwing her arms up. "If I was, then why are we still planning to be married in almost a month?"

Without missing a beat, Elvis raised his voice again, "Then why aren't you living with him instead of your parents?"

Making up an excuse, she said, "I don't believe in living with a man until we are pronounced husband and wife."

"Cut the crap, MaryJane!" He nearly shouted, causing her to jump. "I know that isn't true. You're scared of him and what he is capable of doing to you." He paused. "You need to forget him. Find someone who won't hurt you like he has."

Tears began to fall down MaryJane's red face. Anger bubbled inside her. How could he tell her what to do? He had no right!

"You have no right whatsoever to tell me how to live my life!" she said, her voice cracking.

Elvis slowly made his way across the room, and trapped her against the wall. His hands cupped her face, fixing all the stray hairs.

"I only wish for you to be happy and safe," he whispered to her.

"Maybe I am," she breathed out those words.

MaryJane was lying again. Not only was she depressed, she didn't feel secure. Most of the time was spent worrying if Kevin would harm her or her family. She felt that being here could potentially put her parents in danger. However, it was here only place to run to.

"You'd feel safer with me," he muttered, backing away from her.

"Honestly, Elvis, you're kind of scaring me now," she smirked, crossing her arms.

"Pretenders scare me."

MaryJane chuckled blankly. "It's getting late and my parents will be home soon," she said. "You should probably head out."

"Who said I was leaving?" Elvis grinned, sprawling out on MaryJane's Queen size bed.

"I did."

"When?"

"Just now."

Elvis crossed his arms behind his head. "Not tonight, honey."

How rude! You never invite yourself to stay at someone's house. Never. That's what MaryJane's parents taught her.

"That was only the first half of my talk," he said.

"There's more?" She groaned.

"Not so much talk as it is action," he grinned, deviously and winked at her.

Oh, dear God.

After their "talk", Elvis went into the connected bathroom to shower while MaryJane got ready for bed. She slipped into her pink nightgown and brushed out her hair.

The door open and revealed Elvis wearing a towel around his waist. His dark hair was dripping and his chest had beads of water glistening on it.

MaryJane could barely handle the sight of him. She gripped the sheets beneath her, tightly.

Then, Elvis crawled into the bed beside her. She didn't say a word, nor did she protest or complain. She was happy and felt safe, more so than she had in a long time.

That night she slept with the king once again.

---
A/N: ooh!

I wanted to do MaryJane's parents POV but I didn't. Should I?

Thanks for reading!