Chapter Twenty-Two

The day before the wedding had arrived quickly to MaryJane's dismay. With all the rushing and preparing, she was exhausted.

Even if she was exhausted, she still wanted to look nice. For the rehearsal dinner, she slipped on her prettiest purple with hints of pink and blue dress and curled her long brown hair. Around her dark brown eyes, she put a line of eyeliner, a coat of mascara, and added a bit of glitter to complete the look.

She was so excited to see her maid of honor, Charlotte. They had barely talked since MaryJane lost her job and moved in with her parents and they missed each other.

MaryJane's parents were waiting in the living room for her. Their eyes quickly became fixated on her as she walked down the steps.

"Honey, you look amazing!" Her mother exclaimed, kissing her forehead.

"My little girl is growing up!" Her dad smiled.

He put his arm around his daughter's waist as they walked to the door. Outside, laying on the Welcome mat was a bouquet of red roses.

"Oh! This must be from Kevin," Betty Anne said, handing MaryJane the beautiful bouquet.

She grabbed the card that and unfolded it. It read:

I love you. Please remember that.

She smiled at the words scrolled across the piece of paper and quickly put the roses in a vase of water. Kevin could be so sweet when he wanted to. That's the side she loved.

While her parents babbled endlessly about the wedding on the ride to the church, MaryJane just thought about Kevin. Things were going to improve for her, including their relationship from this point on.

There would be no more thoughts or encounters with Elvis Presley. He would be forgotten about as well as the memories and love they had shared.

MaryJane would never listen to another one of the King of Rock and Roll's records ever again. She had already burned the ones she had.

She destroyed those records like he destroyed her heart.

Shaking away all thoughts of Elvis Presley, she climbed out of the car as they pulled into the church parking lot. The church was huge and looked more like a castle than a church.

As they walked to the door, MaryJane noticed a man in a suit standing at the door.

"Make sure only the friends and family on the list are allowed in," Betty Anne said to the man. "Notify me if you see anyone else."

"Yes, Mrs. Campbell."

MaryJane frowned. Was this guy a bouncer? Why had her mother hired him?

"Betty Anne, is this really necessary?" Joel asked as they walked inside.

"I'm just being cautious."

"But, we haven't seen that Cadillac in weeks," Joel said.

MaryJane shook her head, confused as she made her way to the sanctuary. It looked big enough to hold the five hundred guests and strangers that would be attending. Her mother had insisted on inviting almost everyone in town.

"MaryJane!"

She spun around on her heel as soon as she heard her best friend's ringing voice. Almost knocked over by Charlotte's hug, she laughed as a few tears feel from her eyes.

"I've missed you so much!" MaryJane half laughed, half cried.

"It's not the same in the office without you," she whispered, crying.