Chapter Thirteen

The next morning was filled with regret and tears for MaryJane. She sat under a tree in the yard of Graceland. Her chin rested on her knees that were pulled up to her chest. Tears slipped down her cheek as she thought of everything that her and The King of Rock and Roll had been doing.

How could she give herself to somebody like him? She barely knew him! She wanted to save herself for her real true love, who she believed was Kevin.

Now, when they get married and go on their honeymoon, she can't say he was her first. It won't be as good as it would have been her first time. It won't be a learning experience for both of them now. Kevin would wonder how she knew exactly what to do, how to do it, when to do it. She learned from Elvis Presley.

How could she do that to Kevin? She loved him to death! He couldn't take her virginity now; Elvis did. He couldn't tell her she did okay for her first time; Elvis did.

But one of the things that bothered her the most was Elvis let her sleep with him when he knew she was engaged.

As a single tear dribbled down her cheek, she knew she was in the wrong place. There was no reason for her to stay in Memphis. Kevin had to be sober by now. She could leave whenever she wanted.

But how?

As simple as leaving sounded, it wasn't simple at all. MaryJane's own car wasn't parked in front of Graceland. It was back at her apartment. How could she leave? Ask Elvis to take her home? No, she was too upset with him to stay in the same car together for hours. Could she call a friend to come and get her? No, they couldn't know that she had been with Elvis Presley this whole time. Call a cab? They couldn't take her all the way to Virginia, but they could take her halfway. Then, she could call Charlotte to pick her up!

She stood up, dusted the dirt off her skirt, and quickly ran into the house. She grabbed the phone and the phone book and dialed the number. After she asked for a cab to come, she called Charlotte.

"Hello?"

"Charlotte, it's me!"

"MaryJane?!" She said excitedly.

"Yes! Look I need you to pick me up at the border. I have to take a few cabs to get there so it'll take a while," MaryJane explained.

"Okay. Why are you in Tennessee? Are you hurt? I have so much I need to tell you," Charlotte said.

"Its a long story and I don't have the time. I have to go, Charlotte. See you then," she said, then put the phone in the receiver.

MaryJane glanced up the stairs where Elvis' room was. It was vacant like the rest of the house. She was the only person in the house. Vernon and Gladys were out for a few hours and Elvis was recording. He could be back at any moment. Screw the clothes, she thought. She didn't need everything he had bought her, just what she was already wearing. She came here empty handed and was going to leave empty handed.

With only the side of her skirt pulled into her hand so she wouldn't trip, she ran outside, hoping the yellow car would show up soon.

Vroom! She turned toward the driveway, expecting to see the taxi cab. Instead, she saw that damned El Dorado Cadillac. She cursed, clenched her fists, and stomped the sidewalk with her expensive heels Elvis bought her. Drama she didn't need was about to start.

Up the sidewalk, the King of Rock and Roll strolled up to MaryJane with a bouquet of flowers in one hand and a bag in the other. What could she do? Run away? It was too late for that now.

"Hey, honey," he smiled that lip curled smile. "Whatcha doin' out here in the cold?"

What was she supposed to tell him? She hates to hurt his feelings but she had to go. Stay strong, MaryJane.

"Elvis," she breathed out his name, and put her hand on her head. "I'm leaving."

She could see the shock take over his face. He dropped the flowers and the bag and ran a hand through his greased hair.

"No, I bought these roses for you," he said, picking up the bouquet and holding them out for her.

She held her hand out and said, "I can't accept those."

Throwing the flowers on the concrete, anger filled his voice as he said, "Damn it, MaryJane! I had a whole night planned for you. Us. I was going to take you out for dinner and then I was gonna take you out to dance!" He picked up the bag and pulled out a skimpy gown. "And then we were going to go back to my room and make love just like we have been but better!"

As the cab pulled up, she bent down to the driver and said, "I'll be ready in a second."

"Take your time, miss," the driver said.

She turned back to Elvis. "So you only want my body, Elvis? Is that why you want me to stay? So you can take advantage of me? As if you haven't done it enough?"

Tears fell down his face as he put his hands on her hips. "Baby, you know that's not true."

She pushed him away and said to the driver, "It's time for us to go." She opened the door slightly.

"No! Sir, you're not needed here," Elvis said, slamming the door before MaryJane could get in the car.

"Elvis, I have to go!" She yelled, pushing him away again.

"No, MaryJane, you don't have to go. You're scared. That's why you're runnin' away from me. I ain't gonna do what that Kevin did to you! I love you, MaryJane. I could never hurt you," Elvis exclaimed, inching toward her.

MaryJane burst into tears as he said it. He said he loved her. And he meant it, she could tell. He looked her straight in the eyes as he cried. He loved her. Did she feel the same?

"I'm engaged, Elvis," she quietly said, almost whispering.

"That doesn't matter! He hasn't looked for you! He doesn't care, MaryJane!"

Those words stung. Kevin had to care. The ring on her left hand proved he had to care about her!

Elvis grabbed her hands and murmured, "You could be married to me. I'd take care of you, honey. And you and I both know that if you turned up missing, I'd dig up all of Earth just to find you."

Shaking her head as tears kept falling, she whispered, "No."

"I wouldn't let anyone hurt you, including myself. And Momma and Daddy would be here, too. They would love for you to be my wife. And I would, too. We'll have the most beautiful children and they'll-"

"Miss, we have to leave now," the driver interrupted.

"Damn it, I'm talking to her!" Elvis yelled.

"Elvis, I'm sorry," she whispered, leaning in closer to hug him. "But I have to go now."

He pressed his lips to her forehead, giving her goosebumps. "Please, come back to me."

He places his finger under her chin so their eyes would meet for the last time. He crashed his lips to hers for the last time.

"I love you, MaryJane."

"I know."

With nothing but a memory of Elvis Presley, she climbed into the back of the taxi. She watched the crying Elvis slowly fade away as the taxi drove away. She felt tears falling down her cheek again. She was going to miss Elvis but she had Kevin, her one and only love. Or so she thought.

Did she make the right decision?

A/N; omg! This chapter is so sad. Please let me know what you think.

And please forgive me for such a late update.

Thanks lovelies.

-PYW