Chapter Twenty

At three in the morning, Elvis and his friends sat in the hotel room, munching on food they'd found and talking. Elvis had spent the last few hours explaining MaryJane and his situation.

"Look, E," Jerry said, pacing the floor. "I don't think it's a good idea to be fooling around with a married woman."

"She's engaged and hell, I know it ain't a good idea," Elvis said, running his fingers through his slicked back hair.

Even he knew how risky it was to be messing around with MaryJane. A sigh escaped his lips as he thought about how much he missed her.

"Are you sure you want to be in a steady relationship with this girl?" Red asked, looking up from the magazine he had been reading. "You're not exactly the kind to stick to the same girl."

"And we certainly wouldn't want to jeopardize a soon to be marriage for a relationship that ain't going to work out," Joe Esposito spoke up.

Elvis shook his head. "Y'all just don't understand. This beautiful girl has changed me! I'm no longer a one night stand kinda man. Sure, at first that might have been what I wanted but now, I see a future with MaryJane. Whether or not y'all want to believe it, I love her."

The members of the Memphis Mafia exchanged glances, clearly shocked by Elvis' response.

"So, when do we get to meet your broad?" Red grinned, accepting Elvis' decision.

All the boys laughed as they passed around bottles of beer. The remainder of the night was spent laughing, drinking, and sharing stories.

---

Kevin slipped a five dollar bill in the skirt of the girl dancing in front of him, laughing and sipping his bottle of beer.

"Oh my gosh, can you guys be a little less cheap?" the stripper shrieked. "My rent payment is due next week!"

"Well, if you would dance like you don't have a stick up your ass then I might give you a little more!" Kevin spat. "Hey, Alan! You mind trading girls? This one dances like my grandfather after he lost his leg in the war!"

"Sorry Kev, this one keeps bringing something up," Alan said, keeping his eyes locked on the girl in front of him.

Kevin felt so relaxed while MaryJane was away. He didn't have to listen to her crap about the wedding or about work or anything. MaryJane didn't even allow him to hang out with Alan because she thought he was such a bad influence on him. The bitch never let him be a man.

The wedding was only less than a month away and he knew there was no backing out now, no matter how bad he wanted to. Recently, he felt that MaryJane wasn't as much into the whole wedding thing anymore. The way she went off on him over the phone or avoiding to make the final arrangements with him was making it more and more clearer that something was up.

Whatever it was, he was going to find out sooner or later.

He had planned to visit MaryJane and his soon to be in-laws within a week or so, but the more he thought about it, he would rather just stay home. They'd have plenty of time to annoy the shit out of each other when they're lawfully wedded.

However, he loved her through all the hateful thoughts. He knew in his heart they were meant to be together since she was the only woman who'd ever stayed with him through all the meanness.

He was completely aware that he had a problem with his anger issues and drinking.

But a solution to this problem was another story.

With his best efforts, he had tried many times to correct himself. But to no avail, he couldn't do anything to stop.

MaryJane made things so much worse for him. She upset him, hurt him, neglected him and he needed to show her how he felt. Now that she moved in with her parents, he's been the worse he's ever been.