Chapter Twenty-Six

Wednesday had arrived very quickly for MaryJane and Elvis. Her bags had been packed for days prior to the night before. Part of her was excited for the production experience. But another part of her was worried. Elvis would spend all of his time on set instead of with her. Would she get tired of him and the whole dating a celebrity situation?

Dismissing those thoughts, she thought about how Elvis felt. Recently, he seemed happy and excited about the movie. Of course, he felt a tinge nervous but was ready to start filming his second movie.

The plane ride was quite awkward. MaryJane and Elvis cuddled together while Colonel Parker constantly glared at them.

"Just ignore him, honey," Elvis had whispered in her ear.

The thing about the Colonel was that MaryJane had never spoken a single word to the man ever. However, she did have a few thoughts about him. She was barely around him and already hated the way he treated Elvis: more like a ragged rug than a human being.

Her head lay on Elvis's rising and falling chest. His heartbeat comforted her, calming her nerves. It was amazing how the sound of a heart could make her so happy.

Everyone was either asleep or reading. Or snuggling their partner. Red's arm was wrapped around Charlotte's small shoulders as she read a magazine.

MaryJane giggled as Elvis planted a kiss on her full lips. Both of them could feel the sparks flying with each touch, even after all this time.

A grunt from the other side of the room was heard. Their eyes met the ones of Colonel Parker's. MaryJane pushed herself away from Elvis as the glares and stares continued.

It was going to be a long flight.

---

"ELVIS!"

Hundreds of teenage girls screamed his name as they saw him arrive in his limousine. He looked as handsome as ever.

As the driver opened the door, Elvis stood, waiting for someone to get out. After a few seconds, he was accompanied by an unfamiliar girl with long, brown hair. Her pink dress skidding against the concrete.

"Elvis, who is this girl?" Reporters asked as he linked arms with the woman.

He pushed passed them, remaining silent, giving everyone a lopsided smile that could put a woman to their grave.

"You could do better than that, Elvis!" A girl called to him, causing the lady on his arm to flinch and lower her head.

"What a tramp!"

Elvis saw how upset she was becoming. Kissing her forehead, everyone could see the cameras flashing and women screaming.

Soon, there would be magazines and newspapers printed everywhere with the now famous couple on the cover.

"ELVIS' NEW GIRL?" The papers read on the cover above the clear shot of the girl and the King of Rock and Roll.

Now, every American held the magazine in their hands, shaking their head, including Betty Anne and Joel Campbell.

---

Days passed since they last talked to their daughter, and they weren't the least bit surprised. They accepted the fact that their daughter was off doing her own thing.

After taking a break from all the farm work, Betty Anne and Joel decided to go the store. Standing in line, they picked up the magazine with the familiar face on the cover.

"That's funny, Betty Anne," Joel chuckled. "That looks like MaryJane."

Betty Anne's eyes widened at his ignorance. "Can't you see! That's our daughter!"