Chapter Seven

The up beat music filled the little recording room that Elvis sat in. It was the third time he'd try to sing Don't Be Cruel and not mess up. He couldn't concentrate though! All he could think about was MaryJane and how he made the mistake of letting her go.

When Elvis missed a few of the lyrics, he got off the stool, kicked it, and buried his face in his hands. He was miserable without her. Who knew one girl could hurt him so much?

Red, Elvis' best friend, stood beside him, and put a worried hand on his shoulder.

"Everything all right, El? You haven't been at your best today," Red said, worry stitched in his voice.

"I shouldn't have let the most beautiful girl I have ever seen go," he said, his face still in his hands.

Taking a seat on the stool next to Elvis', he said,"Ah, love sick, are we?"

Elvis nodded. "I met her at that hotel a couple nights ago. She was lost so I let her stay with me-"

"You let her stay in your room?!" Red interrupted.

"Yep."

"You don't let obsessed girls in your room, El. Do I have to give you that lecture again?" he said with his parenting mode turned on.

"She wasn't obsessed. I found out she didn't like me."

"And she willingly came to your room?" He questioned.

"Well, she was, uh..."

"Spit it out."

Elvis sighed and quietly mumbled, "She was drunk."

Red's eyes widened. "You took a drunk girl you don't even know to your room?" He asked, shocked.

"Well, her friends left her at the bar with no way to get home. She's not familiar with Tennessee because she lives in Virginia."

"So you had to take her home?"

"She made me," Elvis said, nearly whispering. "It was so hard to let a girl like her go."

Red stood up and put both hands on Elvis' shoulders. "I know you can win her over. You need to go find her, and tell her how much she means to you," he encouraged.

Elvis knew what he had to do. It was going to be difficult, but he was confident he could do this.

---

Kevin's little car jerked to a stop in front of the big building MaryJane called her work office. Kevin had told MaryJane he was going to take her to and from work so she wouldn't get lost again which was going to annoy MaryJane. She didn't need someone to drive her around like that. She knew this area just fine.

"Goodbye, Kevin," she said, jumping out of the car and onto the hard concrete.

She made her way to her office with her high heels clacking beneath her feet. She felt so refreshed after putting on something other than that stupid red dress that she had worn for nearly three days. It also felt different sleeping alone in her own bed without wearing a man's shirt to sleep in.

Elvis.

She had been trying not to think of him all morning since he had dropped her off. She knew she'd never see him again, which surprisingly pained her.

MaryJane slipped into her clean office and slumped into her chair, that man still dancing through her head.

"MaryJane!" An excited voice wrecked her train of thought into a burning fire.

She turned towards the door to see her best friend who had left her alone in that hotel with the man who was now driving her insane.

"Hello, Charlotte."

Charlotte entered the room, shutting the door behind her, and rushed to MaryJane who was now standing.

"I am so sorry we left you! They kicked us out of the hotel!"

MaryJane held up her hand. "Lets forget that ever happened."

MaryJane knew that wouldn't be possible for herself. Last nights events was replaying in head every second. It was like someone was constantly pressing the rewind button.

"Good idea," Charlotte smiled. "So, there's this movie playing at the cinema. I'll take you to earn your forgiveness."

Maybe going to see a movie would take Elvis out of her head. She needed something to distract her and this movie could help.

"That sounds fun," she grinned. "Just don't leave me alone this time."

"I wouldn't dream of doing that again!"

After they talked for a while more, Charlotte went back to work as did MaryJane. She piled work on herself to try to drown out the memories.

But she knew that wouldn't work. Elvis Presley was going to be in her thoughts for a long, long time.

---

It was the end of the work day. MaryJane and Charlotte rushed to the car to avoid running into Kevin, who was supposed to pick her up after her work day was over.

They drove to the busy theatre. It was so crowded because of a movie that Charlotte was taking MaryJane to see.

Charlotte bought the tickets and they made their way to find a seat. There was barely any left in the big room. It had to be a good movie or something big.

MaryJane played with her hands trying to forget the King of Rock and Roll. But she couldn't. He was stitched into her brain. He was like getting bubblegum stuck in your hair; it's hard to get him out of your head.

The opening music began to play and the title shown on the screen: Love Me Tender. MaryJane listened as a song began playing. It sounded exactly like Elvis' sweet voice singing. But it can't be, can it? She had to be hallucinating!

Then she saw him. He was on the screen. Her eyes widened. She couldn't go anywhere, do anything, without seeing or hearing him.

MaryJane closed her eyes because she didn't want to see him. She kept them closer for a good while. She opened them and really regretted it.

He was kissing another girl! MaryJane clenched her jaw and her hands closed into tight fists. It looked as if her bones would pop right through her skin. She hated seeing him with another girl! It made her die of envy.

But it didn't seem right. Envy? MaryJane was engaged, for Pete's sake! She couldn't feel like this! It was only a crush. They'd never see each other again! She'd get over him soon enough.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that, she thought doubtfully.

She tapped Charlotte's shoulder and whispered, "We need to go."

Charlotte followed her out to her car and took her back to the office while Elvis stayed buried in MaryJane's thoughts.

He was never going to leave her head. There was no escaping him or his charm.

A/N: There's Chapter Seven! I'm so happy I got this one done! Next Chapter will be more exciting. Let's just say there'll be a run in.

Question; Have any of you seen Love Me Tender? What's your favorite Elvis movie?

Please comment your answers. I actually haven't seen Love Me Tender but I've seen the trailer. My favorite Elvis movie is either Blue Hawaii, Jailhouse Rock, or Wild in the Country.

Love Me Tender came out in 1956 so that means that's when the story takes place.

Please keep voting and commenting!

Thanks!
Xoxo
-PYW