Chapter Twenty-Five

Weeks had passed since the wedding incident and MaryJane's parents had been relentlessly trying to find their daughter. She had called them every other night, assuring them that she was fine. Initially, they didn't believe her but they began to hear the happiness in her voice again. Wherever she was, they knew she was healing from the panic attack she must have had before the ceremony.

However, they knew Kevin was taking this separation roughly. He had been staying at Joel and Betty Anne's house until further notice about the wedding. Unfortunately, it became more and more apparent that the wedding wouldn't be happening anytime soon.

They had received dozens of calls from guests complaining about how they traveled very far to get to the wedding. A day after the wedding, they told the guests to stay in town in case the wedding would be scheduled. Now, they tell everyone to return home.

Needless to say, Joel and Betty Anne were very disappointed that their daughter had wasted money for the wedding, left her fiancé, her guests and her family and friends without proper reasoning. Even if she was sick, she could have managed to say goodbye or something!

As Betty Anne ended the most recent phone call with her daughter, she sat beside Joel on the couch, staring blankly at the floor.

"How is she?" He asked.

She looked up from the floor. "She seems happy."

When their daughter was happy, so were they. Because of all the stress the city life had caused her, they rarely saw her happy self.

"Why do you seem so worried then?" Joel asked.

"Joel, she won't tell us where she is," Betty Anne said, loudly. "She could be in trouble!"

"She's probably just out with her friends."

Betty Anne was tired of the way Joel thought of her. He made her look insane and too worrisome. Of course she was worried about her daughter! What mother wouldn't be?

"I'm hiring a private investigator," she said, picking up the telephone.

Joel slammed it back down. "For God's sake, Betty Anne! Leave the girl be! She needs a break and is fine where she is! She'll come home when she's ready!" He shouted, throwing his arms in the air.

Betty Anne cried for hours after that. She locked herself in her room while Joel did his own thing. All she wanted was for MaryJane to be home and to talk to her. Suddenly, she felt the lack of trust her daughter in her. MaryJane barely told her anything and she wanted things to change.

Obviously, trying to form a better relationship with her only daughter was going to be extremely difficult. But she was going to try as hard as she could.

---

The scent of maple syrup and sizzling bacon filled the kitchen at Graceland. MaryJane and Gladys stood by the stove, flipping pancakes and pieces of bacon.

Turning over a floppy pancake in the pan, MaryJane felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her waist and lips on her neck.

"Even in the kitchen, you look sexy," Elvis murmured into her neck.

"Elvis, not in the kitchen," Gladys laughed, shaking the spatula at him.

He laughed and pulled away from MaryJane. "Sorry, momma. I couldn't help myself."

"You better get to the table if you want your breakfast," MaryJane said, piling the pancakes on the plate.

"Do ya think you can take your hands off of her for a few minutes to eat?" Gladys joked, picking up a plate full of bacon and carrying it to the table.

MaryJane followed with a plate of pancakes. Sitting at the table was the entire gang: Joe, Charlie, Jerry, Sonny, Red, Charlotte, and Vernon. Elvis took a seat while MaryJane and Gladys set the plates down before sitting down.

Taking a bite, Jerry laughed. "E, your women cook pretty dang good."

After joking and laughing for a while, Vernon nudged Elvis and whispered in his ear, clearly catching MaryJane's attention.

"MaryJane, we got something to discuss," Elvis said with a mouthful of food.

"Elvis, eat with your mouth closed," Gladys mumbled.

"What is it, Elvis?" MaryJane asked, frowning as her worry lines creased.

MaryJane was worried whenever Elvis and the guys weren't joking. When they were serious, something negative usually had occurred or was about to occur.

"The Colonel wants me to play in a movie coming out next year, Loving You," Elvis informed her.

"Oh, that's wonderful," MaryJane smiled.

"I have to go away in a few days to film."

Dropping her fork, she gasped. "Go away?"

"He's got to travel to California," Vernon spoke up.

Why did she act so surprised? Dating a celebrity had it's pros and cons and one of the cons was traveling. She was aware of that. But yet, she was still upset. MaryJane wouldn't see him for days, weeks even!

"I was wondering if you would go with me?" Elvis asked, his eyes on her.

Did she want to sit on set all day, watching Elvis make out with other women? Did she even want to be apart of the city life and the hustle and bustle?

"I don't know," she mumbled.

"We're all going to go, MaryJane. Even I am," Charlotte said.

She thought about it. At least she wouldn't be alone, right? And being able to watch the production of a movie did seen pretty cool.

"I'll go."

---

"I said the broad needs to stay home."

Elvis and Colonel Tom Parker stood outside Graceland that afternoon, arguing.

"MaryJane is my girlfriend and she's going," Elvis said, crossing his arms.

The Colonel pulled the cigar out of his mouth and tapped the ashes off. "Your fans won't be happy, Presley. Showing up with a women like that will ruin your reputation."

Elvis didn't want to listen to much more of his crap. Every day it was the same thing: don't do this, don't do that, your fans won't like that.

"No MaryJane, no movie," Elvis said, firmly.

He paused, taking a deep breath. "Fine. The plane leaves Wednesday at eight."

---

A/N: hey!

Okay, so I have some big plans for this but it's kinda boring right now, sorry. :/

Recently, I decided to start writing my other story, Who Killed the Country Boy. I had put it on hold but I've been updating. So, if you would please check it out and vote it would mean so much to me! I have like no readers right now!

Vote and comment!

PYW