Chapter 14

"Next, please?" I tried to be cheerful, who'd want a miserable cashier, right? but i just couldn't.

I was worried, did Harley figure out it was me? Did he have my bracelet? Did Gina find my bracelet? 

All these thoughts were running through my mind on this dull Sunday morning, while i was working at the dress shop. 

I could have guessed that this morning would be busy, It was the day after the ball, and most of the juniors where bringing back there dress.

See the girls had figured out if they brought a dress, and kept the label tucked in their side, that they could return it the next day and get there money back.

It happened every year, i even tried it once when Gina and Katie forced me to go to a party. Big mistake that night was, unfortunately i had a drunk guy tip his drink all over me. Note to self, if you have a huge stain on the dress you will not get your money back.

That is why i hate working the day after a dance, i've had to do it since i started a year a go, and in this little ole town, balls happen all the time, like two a month. and every one has to have a new dress, or a dress they know there going to have to return in the morning to this very dress store.

It was only eleven in the morning, the store's been open an hour and i've a had 20 dresses returned, and there's a big cue of juniors with dresses they were wearing last night in their hands. In this medium sized shop there are two cashier's, and on the second one a girl named Kitty. She's 19 and saving for university. Some how she still looks happy.

I once again looked at the clock, It was 11.03.  Why does time have to go so slow, just another seven hours left, i thought to my self.

I focused my gaze onto the girl that had just came up to the counter, She was a girl from my classes, and i'm guessing she was returning her dress from last night,

"How can i help you?" I asked putting my fake smile on my face, The girl i think her names Jamie, smiled timidly i think she seemed embarrassed about bringing her dress back because she recognized me.

"Erm- this dress didn't fit me properly, can i return it?" She asked timidly.

"Really, i thought i saw you last week, didn't you have it taken in to fit  you perfectly ?" I asked

Kitty muffled a laugh, with a cough as she carried on with her customer.

"Erm, n-no, i think you got the wrong person," The girls blush deepened, i had to stifle a laugh at that, I placed my hand out for her to give me the dress.

She handed me a turquoise, floor length angel dress, it had a belt around the middle, which would have showed off her curves, I was so envious this dress was gorgeous. I would have loved this dress, even just for a night,

I scanned the barcode, $229.99. 

I didn't understand why the owner, Isabelle, did returns on dresses because she isn't earning any money out of it, just wasting perfectly beautiful dresses. Granted not all the dresses that people brought got returned after there night of fame, but still.

I obverse the dress looking for any damage or stains. Even though Isabelle let people return dresses, they had to be presentable, practically the way they was when they left.

And that is why a smile appeared on my face when i saw a tear at the bottom, where i'm guessing she stood on it with her heel, if that wasn't enough, the belt had been stretched, to leave creased marks, and just on the side of the dress a stain, from beer i presume.

"Sorry, but you can not return this, there is a tear at the bottom of the dress, a alcoholic stain right here," I pointed at the stain," And the belt has been damaged. The policy is any damage to the dress, means no return,"I said praising my self for not laughing in her face.

"What!" The girl screeched in a low voice, "Please can't you like just pretend you haven't seen any, i borrowed the money from my Dad's wallet, and we are friends right? so come on" The girl rushed in a whisper.

That was the customers favourite line, 'we're friends right?'. Just because we go to the same school doesn't mean were friends.

"I'm sorry, but i can not do that. We can not return this" I looked at the dress now in disgust, to empathize my distaste." damaged dress." I replied handing the dress back,

She huffed still standing in front of me, "Who is next please." I said, which made her rush out of the shop.

Kitty leaned over to my counter,"I can't believe her, really? I don't know why she bothered lying, we know why she really was returning the dress, i  mean look at her,  High five i almost laughed out loud at ' i thought you had it fitted perfectly last week'." I high five her and laughed, turning back to the next customer,

 For the next two hours i had more dresses being returned and dresses also brought, When my lunch came around i was relieved to get off my feet, even though i don't wear heels my feet always seem to kill.

I went to a local pastry and cake shop and order an sausage roll and orange juice pouch.

I sat down on the customer table sets,

I munched for 15 minutes in my sausage roll, I knew i had half an hour for lunch so i took my time. Once i finished on my sausage roll, and took a swig of my orange juce, and took my phone out i called Gina,

"Bonjour?" Gina said jolly into the phone. 

"Why didn't you text, have you got my bracelet?" I screeched through the phone, a few on looked at me, but soon enough turned around,

"I was waiting to do this in person." Gina muttered

"What do you mean?" I asked, why would she want to do this is person? All she had to do is a quick text 'hey, got your B' 

"I  haven't got your bracelet." She said slowly,

"What? oh my god." this day couldn't be any worse.

"Don't worry it's not lost, Harley's got it." She said cheerfully again.

"What!" I screeched again. This couldn't be happening.

"Well once i got back, i found Harley, he's holding your bracelet talking to the DJ, to see if he know's a girl with blond hair and was wearing the blue dress.It was seet to be fair and anyway I couldn't just mug him now could i?" 

"Yes, you could. Fricken punch him in the face and grab the bracelet." I gushed. Okay that might have sounded a little to violent but i couldn't care. He had my very sentimental bracelet.

"It gonna be okay, i heard him say he was going to make an announcement on Monday, so you'll get it back, so romantic," Gina gushed.

"No, no, no. Ever girl in the school will make out it was them, This is Harley Dale we are talking about. I'm not going to get my bracelet back am i" I said mournfully.

"I have a plan, just listen okay? so i figured he's probably going to leave the bracelet in his locker, we just have to break into his locker and get it back, it's going to be so James bond," Gina chuckled.

 "And what if someone see's, we get caught, not everything is a movie or a novel, Gina." I said resting my head down on the table, at Gina's monstrous idea.

"If someone see's us, there not going to say anything, because they'd know you where the girl at the ball, and we're not going to get caught, i have perfected the plan," I could imagine Gina's smile on her face right now.

"I don't know." I said more to my self than to Gina, We could get caught and, we'd most likely will,and what if Harley doesn't even bring the bracelet to school, i huffed to myself, and shuffled around in my chair.

"It's gonna work, i'll fill you in on Monday on our way to school okay?" Gina said I nodded and said a small ,"Yes." Before i hung up,

All the way walking back to the shop, I was only was thinking could this actually work? surely not? 

I just hope Gina's plan is more realistic, than a book or movie.