The tension in one's eyes

"What are you talking about?" I asked, confused.

Kirstie took a long time to say it. "....When Mitch's mother got surgery.....it cost the Grassi family a lot of money. Mitch's father was a drunk and Mitch was the only one who could take care of the situation.

"But he was too young.....he couldn't deal with all the stress...."

"What happned...?"

Kirstie sighed. "He......he decided the best way to pay the debt was to not pay it. He ran away."

"What?" I screeched. "Is that it? Then you're not sure he's dead."

"No no, that's not it. See.....he ran away, and you were in doom for a week. So I had to step up. I told you to get out into the world and move on. Get a boyfriend, and forget about Mitch.

"And you did go out. Except you found Mitch when you did. You talked to him. I don't know exactly what you said because you were crying while you were telling me but I know you said you loved him."

Just then the memories came to me.

poured into my brain like a waterfall.

flashbackkkkk

"Mitch?" I yelled as I saw the small body shiver in fear. "Mitch! Is it....is it really you?"

We were on the shore of a beautiful beach, not far away from home. Mitch was asleep next to a brick wall.

He looked awful.

"Mitch." I shook him awake. "Mitch."

Mitch stirred and opened his eyes. Then he frowned. "......Scott?"

I smiled. "Hi."

Mitch backed away, his eyes wide. "No....no....They found me....they're gonna bring be back..."

"What? What are you talking about-"

"PLEASE! JUST GO AWAY!!" Mitch screamed.

I stopped.

Mitch breathed heavily and I threw my jacket on top of him.

"It's cold out." I started. Then I sat next to him. He didn't back away, he just sat there..looking puzzled. "And I'm not gonna take you back if you don't want to."

Mitch smiled. "Thank you.."

"But....now that I'm here..I have to tell you something."

"Anything."

I took a deep breath. "I like you, brown eyes."

Mitch's face paled. "W...what?"

"And I'll do anything.....for you to be in my life."

Mitch's lips pushed together in a thin line. We didn't say anything for a long time until Mitch broke the silence by saying, "I know."

I blinked. "You what?"

"...I knew all along."

"Wait, how? I told no one about it."

Mitch gave me a knowing smile.

"Sometimes...You don't need words to describe it. You just have to look for the tension in one's eyes."