Chapter 5 - Lunchtime!

It took me a few minutes to realise that I’d basically been told by the two guys in my group that they were happy to pretend I don’t exist in their lives like normal and hear from me as little as possible. Ok, so that’s what I’d offered to them as a last hope that I didn’t end up doing this coursework on my own but I could already see it - I was going to be doing it all, losing sleep and stressing out to try and give us the grades we needed to pass. We quickly exchanged numbers as the bell went and the two guys got up simultaneously and left without a second glance at us.

“They are so alike…” Holly said as she put her jacket on.

“You’re telling me! How are we meant to work with them?” I added a little emphasis on the ‘we’ in hope it would make her stay.

“Bethany, look, I’m sorry but I really don’t think I can work with them…” She said as if she read my mind and decided to go completely against it. I felt my stomach drop.

“Holly you have to help me out here!” I was already pleading with her. In my head I’d thought about all the different ways this could go, but all in all I needed her to stay in the group.

“I can’t work with them.”  She shook her head as she zipped her jacket up. She seemed to have this small amount of attitude lingering in her tone.

“Neither can I, but I’m not quitting!” I said a little angrier than I meant. I don’t think she understood how much I actually needed her to help me through this.

“Well if you worked better this year you’d have been able to! They’re going to leave us to do all the work and I’m not doing it.” She folded her arms.

“So you’re going to leave me to do all the work on my own? Well that works out well doesn’t it? Thank you so much.” I didn’t let her speak, I just walked off. I can’t believe how self-centred she was being; surely she would realise they’d do no work so stay in order to help me out at least! Instead she’s decided to stick with her ‘A’ grade while I’m going to be fighting to give us all a ‘C’. I stormed down the hallway, weaving through the crowds of people to meet my friends for lunch, I needed to calm down…

“Beth! Wait!” I heard Holly shout from behind me but I kept walking. The mere sound of her voice or her standing in front of me would be too much to handle right now. “Let’s talk about this!” She called after me. Great, now not only do people think I am associated with her they’re now going to think we’ve had a row. I hate people knowing my business and I certainly hate how people assume things. The LAST thing I need to get popular is an association with Holly. I finally got to the field and breathed a sigh of relief. The sun was shining down on the grass and all the people eating outside, a gentle breeze blowing just enough so it wasn’t too warm. I pulled my jacket off and tied it round my waist as I walked towards the place me and my friends always sat and to my delight two grinning faces met me as I walked to the end of the field where some large trees shadowed part of the ground.

“BETH!” Mandy screeched as I threw my jumper on the ground and sat on it, throwing my bag in front of me before giving Mandy and Olivia hugs.

“It’s so good to see you guys you have no idea what stress I’ve been under!” I said in one breath, my eyes wide as I shook my head. They eagerly awaited me to carry on my story, Olivia’s hands clasped together as she leant in. “They’ve made us do more group work in class.” I said in a sulk.

“More? Are you with those stupid people again?” Mandy said in a slightly harsher way than I’d ever said it. I shook my head and sighed.

“That’s the problem! If I was with them at least I’d know we’d do some work!” I said as I got my lunch out of my bag and opened my lunchbox, taking a bite out of my cheese sandwich.

“So who are you working with now?” Olivia asked.

“Sam and Conor…” I said in a mumble. It suddenly felt like the weather had gone up another ten degrees and I was greeted with widened eyes and dropped jaws.

“No. Way.” Mandy said. I shifted my eyesight around the field, trying not to see the shocked yet amused faces of my best friends.

“You’re working with two hotties, what’s the problem with that?” Olivia shrugged. “I’d be jumping for joy!” She said elbowing Mandy’s arm before she winked. I rolled my eyes.

“Just because they are nice looking doesn’t mean I’m going to pass this coursework or this course!” I said, slightly annoyed at them. “They’re refusing to work outside of school when the teacher is emailing us every day!” I took another, slightly harsher bite out of my sandwich, savouring the vintage cheddar taste.

“So how are you going to do the coursework?” Olivia seemed to be the only person who understood what I was getting at – Mandy still sat with a huge smile on her face.

“Exactly! I’m going to have to do it on my own. They refuse to meet up with me yet this coursework is all about working outside of school hours! I’ve got their numbers and stuff but-” I stopped myself talking and put my hand over my mouth. Crap. I’ve already broken the one thing I promised to those two I wouldn’t do.

“You have what?” Mandy’s head suddenly shot up and she was staring at me in disbelief. “You have their numbers?” She said in a whisper. I could feel my hands going clammy as I sat there wishing I could go back in time and save myself from this moment. I knew exactly what was coming and I didn’t want it to happen.

“Oh my God! Can I see it? I want their numbers! You should call them! You guys could become best friends!” Olivia asked, her hand held out as if I was going to give her my phone.

“Guys, let’s forget I ever said it, yeah? I don’t want you guys pestering me to text and call them at inappropriate times! I promised them I wouldn’t let anyone know I had it!” I said as I cringed at how it sounded. Basically it sounds like I begged them for their numbers as long as absolutely no one found out… This is also not doing much to help me boost my status in school. I rolled my eyes as my two best friends just kept staring at me waiting for me to give up and hand my phone over – but that wasn’t happening.

“Oh my God! What is that?” Mandy squealed and pointed down to my hand, where a tickling sensation was now obvious. I looked down and saw a spider crawling across my hand and screamed, instantly flinging my hand in the air and shaking it about as I ran around looking like an idiot. My friends always laughed at me because I was the only one with a fear of spiders. It took me a few seconds to calm down and as I looked over to them I noticed both of them hunched over staring intently at something. It was my phone. I’d left it in my bag when I ran off because of the spider… I watched as Mandy put the phone to her ear and my stomach dropped. Oh dear God…