Chapter 2 - Don't Get Involved

I waited eagerly for my name to be called out in registration just so I could get out of my form room. Apart from my two best friends I didn’t know or like anyone else in this classroom; they were all split into their cliques and I didn’t fit with any of them. I was just plain, listening to a range of music with no specific religious beliefs – therefore I was in the ‘uncategorised’ clique which was literally me, Olivia and Mandy.

“Bethany Knight?” My teacher called out.

“Yes, Sir.” I answered and died a little. Why do they make you answer the register in such a stupid way. My friends and I became friends because we were after each other in the register so I then awaited their names.

“Mandy Lawlor?” I grinned at my redheaded friend to my left.

“Yes, Sir!” She said a little too enthusiastically. We both then looked to my blonde haired friend on my right. Her name was next and then we could get out of this classroom.

“Conor Maynard.” We all stared at each other blankly. Who the hell was that? Conor who? The whole class exchanged glances with each other – even the popular group looked in my direction!

“Yeah.” A deep, hoarse voice came from the back of the room and all the class turned their heads to look at him. Sat in the back row in the corner was someone I recognised as a guy I passed in the corridor but I didn’t even know he was in our year! He looked a lot older, at least 2 or 3 years older.

“What the hell you doing here?” One of the popular guys, Sam, shouted from the front of the class and the people in his group giggled.

“Conor’s been moved here from 7B.” The teacher answered for him. “And I expect you guys to treat him with a little respect.” I was shocked that the teacher was getting shirty with students over this Conor guy. What’s he done to be moved?

“He’ll get respect when he deserves and earns it.” Sam said shortly.

“I earned it from your mum.” Conor snapped back and the class laughed. I just sat there with my jaw dropped. This guy has been here for like five minutes and he’s arguing and embarrassing the most idolised popular guy in our class?

“Enough!” The teacher pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and index finger. “I need to pop out for a second; I want everyone in one piece when I get back! If anything happens you’re all in detention for the rest of the year!” He flung his chair back so it scraped along the old wooden floor and he stormed out of the classroom as everyone grumbled. Detention for a year? No thank you!

“Jheez, someone’s wishing it was still the weekend.” A popular girl, Daisy, said.

“Nah, it’s cos that guy’s in our class now.” Sam said with venom in his tone. “He’s got a lot of history…” They knew the whole class was listening, all of our faces looking exactly the same – intrigued.

“If you’ve got a problem with me, mate, you may as well just tell me now!” Conor slammed his fist on the table making us all jump. Most people’s gaze kept on Sam but I looked behind me at Conor. The more I looked at him the more I saw what a soft face he’d have if he wasn’t so angry. His blue eyes were quite striking when they weren’t narrowed at someone, and his jaw line was perfect when his jaw wasn’t clenched. His gaze caught mine and I instantly turned back to the front, as I always did. I could feel a small fire burning in my stomach; I think its nerves because I’d never witnessed a fight. Yeah, I must have a boring life right?

“No one wants you here, Conor.” Sam laughed. “Stop trying to impress people.” Who is he trying to impress? As far as I was concerned Sam started this!

“I don’t need to impress people! You’re the one in the ‘popular’ group.” Conor shrugged. My gaze just swapped between the two of them. It was still not sinking in. No one ever stood up to Sam, like ever!

“Beth, stop staring!” Mandy whispered to me. I slowly took my eyes off the two boys and to her.

“I wasn’t staring. I was just… being inquisitive.” I said smarmily. Mandy rolled her eyes.

“You were staring…” Olivia added quickly. Yeah thanks for sticking up for me!

“Alright maybe I was. But they’re both easy on the eye.” I shrugged. It was the truth. Despite Sam coming across as an asshole and all, he was very nice to look at. His black hair was stuck up in a Mohawk, his brown eyes were dark and enticing and his smile was perfect. He was just as pretty as Conor but he had all the dark features while Conor’s were light.

“Earth to Bethany!” Olivia waved her hand in front of my face which I quickly swatted away.

“Yes, alright! Thank you!” I snapped, wishing I was allowed to stay in my dream world where guys like that were actually attracted to girls like me. I tried my best to go back into that dream state but it was impossible with the shouting still commencing.

“People just like me, Conor. I’m a likeable person.” Sam said with his arms open.

“People only like you for your status. Please. You actually believe these people you sit with like you? It’s because you’re head of whatever crap sports team and because girls think fake idiots like you are hot.” Conor holds his hands out and shrugs as if to say ‘What have you got to say about that?’.  Sam stood up quickly, his chair scraping against the wooden floor making that awful noise the teacher’s had done only a few minutes ago.

“Come on then. You think you’re tough?” Sam again held his arms out as if to say ‘Come and get me’. Conor immediately stood up, his chair scraping too.

“No I don’t, but I just want to show everyone how weak you really are.” Conor said as he walked towards Sam, who was also walking towards him. Everyone held their breath as they got closer and closer. A fight was going to ensue. A fight that was going to get us all in detention. They stood only a couple of table widths apart from each other, basically behind and in front of me and my friends.

“I’m going to make sure you’re out of this class by lunchtime.” Sam snarled, his fists clenched beside him.

“Oh, how noble of you!” Conor said. “I’m sure your class will love you more for that!”

“Look, guys, as touching as this is… I’m sure the rest of the class is with me when they say they don’t want a year’s detention because you two were trying to show off so please sit down.” Mandy said before I had the time to shut her up. She was always the one who got our group into trouble because she didn’t think before she spoke.

“Excuse me?” Sam shot daggers at the three of us. Part of me wanted to stand up and say I had nothing to do with it and sit with another group because I was fed up of her mouth getting me in trouble, but at the same time I was thinking exactly the same thing…

“You’re going to get us all in detention!” Mandy said harshly. “So sit down!” I could see Sam’s body tensing as if he was going to push Mandy off her chair but I heard footsteps coming up the hollow steps to our classroom. Only one person had such heavy footsteps and that was our teacher. Instinctively I pushed my open pencil case off the table and it fell on the floor with a clutter and all my equipment fell across the floor. Their natural reactions were to bend down and pick my stuff up, which luckily they did just as the teacher walked back in the room.

“Sorry, Sir, I dropped my pencil case on the floor!” I said so the two guys knew I’d saved their asses.

“Well, how kind of those two guys to help you pick it all up, eh?” He said suspiciously.

“Just trying to be nice, Sir.” Sam said as he looked up at me with a smile. Finally I did something right in life!