Chapter 24 - Plan In Place

Mandy’s POV

This was risky, this plan. I don’t have a clue what’s going to happen and I certainly don’t think it’ll go the way we all imagined it too, but here goes nothing! I walked up to Sam in the empty classroom and sighed heavily. I threw my bags down on a table near him and slumped on my chair, running my hands through my hair.

“Everything alright?” He questioned, looking over at me with a confused expression.

“No. Not really.” I sighed. I waited in the hope he was going to ask me what was wrong, but a silence followed. I knew this wouldn’t be as easy as Beth said.

“Anything I can help with?” He said after a moment. I looked over to him and offered my best smile.

“Thank you, but I don’t think so. Beth and I had a massive argument and Conor got all involved…” I said, following what Beth had told me to say exactly. She thought I was the best actor so she gave me the duty of tricking Sam.

“Really? That’s not fair! Why was he getting involved?” I knew I had to try and make this as believable as possible. I let out a huge sigh and leant forward so I didn’t have to say it too loud. I looked him dead in the eye and smiled.

“It was about you.” I said almost flirtily and went back to my original seated position. His eyes widened and he looked down at the floor, rubbing the back of his head with his hand nervously.

“Why were you arguing with her about me?” He whispered back to me just as Beth and Conor said he would. I smiled to myself then looked over to him. In literally twenty seconds time they were going to walk in here and be rude to me. It was planned down to the tiniest details.

“You don’t deserve all the shit they’re making for you. I said it was bad that you were the first one showing your feelings and she just disregarded it and went for Conor.” I could see his face light up a little bit and just like clockwork the door swung open and Conor walked in with his arm round Beth. She gave me an evil look as they walk past my table and she pulled my bag on the floor behind her.

“Have him. Bitch.” Beth said harshly as she walked to the back of the classroom with Conor and sat at his table. I pretended to look really upset as I picked up my bag, Sam bending down to help pick everything up.

“Wow. Is that what she’s been like since the argument?” I sniffed and nodded, making it look like I was about to cry. He picked up the last of my stuff and we placed everything back in my bag.

“Yeah. I told her she was wrong and then said that I liked you and she-” I gasped and put my hand over my mouth. I looked down at the floor as I picked my bag up and sat back in my chair, my bag now placed right in front of me on the table. I looked back over to him and he was sitting with his head in his hands. I don’t know if that was the reaction I was expecting but either way, there was still a little bit left of this part of the plan! Olivia opened the door to the classroom but turned back round to Zack who was standing outside the door.

“See you later babe!” She said as they shared a small kiss on the lips. Olivia automatically began walking to her seat next to me but Beth called her away.

“Olivia, come and sit over here with us. Don’t stay next to her.” She said ‘her’ harshly just to add to the plan and make it believable. Olivia looked at me as if to say sorry but walked and sat on the table next to Conor and Beth. Again, I made it look like it really affected me.

“You’re better than them.” I heard Sam whisper to me, but he didn’t look at me. “I want to talk to you after this.” My heart skipped a beat and my stomach flipped. Was it really going to be that easy? I knew Beth had a plan, Conor tweaked it a little but still this was the easiest thing I think I’d ever done!

***

We waited for most people to have left after registration before I slung my backpack over my shoulder and made my way out of the classroom, stopping just by the door to wait for Sam. He was the last person to get up and walk out of the classroom. He looked nervous and it scared me. This part wasn’t in the plan.

“I didn’t know what to say after you said that, sorry.” He shrugged. “I mean, thanks for sticking up for me and everything. I really appreciate it but you didn’t have to argue with your best friend just because of me! You must hate what I’ve done to Beth and Conor!”

“Well, it was a shock; I didn’t expect you to get so upset about it! After all, you and Conor just hate each other at school. At least you can go home and pretend he doesn’t exist!” Sam shifted awkwardly and I knew straight away I’d said something wrong. “Sorry.” I said instinctively. He looked at me and smiled heartily.

“Don’t apologise. It’s just that I have to deal with him more than just at school!” His smile faded a little. “I was just upset, and jealous. I showed my feelings to her and she just disregarded them, she didn’t even apologise to me and tell me she was picking Conor. She just went for him.” I had to admit, hearing this from him and seeing how broken he felt when he said it did make me feel bad for him. He didn’t deserve all this nonsense.

“I know, that’s why I stuck up for you. Conor didn’t like that very much but oh well.” I said with a little laugh as I shrugged my shoulders. “Don’t worry, you can find someone better than her anyway, no offence to her.”

“Thank you. Yeah, I hope I will find someone better – someone who actually wants me for a start!” He said, slightly humorously. “I mean, I’ve got my eye on another girl anyway but the whole ‘Conor and Beth’ thing is still being rubbed in my face so yeah.” The smile on his face grew again. There was something about him that was adorable, even though he has this preconceived look from the rumours you hear. You expect some rude hipster who has a big ego but instead it’s just a guy who knows the right people but he still has feelings like anyone else!

“Well I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you and her; I bet she does like you – I mean – who doesn’t? Ignore all the Conor and Beth crap; don’t let it tear you down. You’ll go crazy!” I tried to offer some helpful advice, even though my mind was screaming at me to stick to the plan. The bell for next lesson rang loudly in my ear and made me jump. Sam let out a small laugh at my expense.

“Thank you. I’m going to try! And I’ll let you know how it goes with the girl, I hope you’re right!” Sam said as he hugged me and waved goodbye, walking off to his class. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that we’ve distracted him from trying to break up Beth’s relationship anymore!