Chapter 1 • Los Angeles

Zoe POV:

"Crush a bit, little bit, roll it up,
take a hit

Feelin' lit, feelin' light, 2 AM summer night.

I don't care, hand on the wheel...."

As the speakers inside my G Class Mercedes blasted Kid Cudi's song, I rolled down my drivers side window taking in the morning air. A small smile appeared on my face as I stared ahead onto the highway that was leading me to my new home.

But the thought of home caused mix feelings to erupt inside me.

I was happy that I was leaving my old life behind and starting a new life somewhere far away from everything and everyone that I once loved, but sadness also crept inside me as well.

I left without telling anyone and maybe that's what makes me feel somewhat gloomy or maybe it's cause I don't know how I'm going to do this without some people that I still love. But I had to leave...

A beeping noise over sounded the music, causing me to slightly jump up from my deep burgundy leather seat.

"Crap." I yelled, noticing that my fuel tank was low.

My russet colored eyes wandered towards the signs posted by the side of the highway, hoping I would see a gas station.

"Come on." I groaned seeing nothing that points out there is one near by. I continued driving until a bright orange and purple sign attached to a pole caught my eye.

"Bingo." I smiled, before taking the next exit and pulling into the large empty gas station.

I slowly turned off the engine, causing anxiety to bubble up inside me.

I hated new surroundings.

I exhale slowly, before grabbing some cash from my wallet and opening my car door. My eyes wandered around the place as my red converse came into contact with the concrete. I took in a sharp cold breeze, before heading into the station's store.

A small bell rang above my head as I opened the convenience store door, getting the person who was behind the counter their attention.

"Morning miss, how can I help you today?" The wrinkle man with honey skin just like mine asked.

"Morning, may I get $50.00 on number two." I said, while handing him the cash.

"Sure thing." He smiled while taking the money from my wounded hand.

"Thanks, you have a nice day." I smiled, causing him to mumble out "you too", before I walked out the door.

I laid my back against the side door as my car was fueling up. I watched as the cars and semi trucks on the highway were driving up the famous Grapevine. I lifted up my right hand that was covered with bruises and a few open wounds, hovering it over my mouth as I yawned. I have been driving for the pass 5 hours now and I still have less than two hours to go, before I'm at my new home.

A clicking sounded erupted my thoughts, causing me to slightly jump. I looked over and notice that my car was done fueling. I quickly took out the hose and tighten the cap, before climbing back into my car. I turned the key, while rubbing one of my eyes with the side of my slightly purplish left hand.

"Come on, you've got to stay awake Zoe." I groaned at the thought of driving for another two hours.

I stared at the highway for couple of minutes just watching the cars go by, before putting my car on drive and heading towards the morning traffic.

~~~~~~~~~

Dawn had just broken the horizon as I drove my car into the underground parking garage of where my new home was. My eyes wander around the garage looking for an empty parking space. After turning a couple of corners, I spotted one in the way back by the elevator doors. I quickly pulled into the spot and turned off my car's engine. While opening my car door, I grabbed my wallet and my iPhone 6, before letting my feet come into contact with the concrete again. I slam the door shut, locking my car as I headed towards the elevator.