Chapter 41- Appearances Are Deceptive

"There's something so fishy about the whole situation!" I muttered to myself as I angrily paced my room.

"About what?" Hayley asked, as she watched me.

"Julia! From the moment she called me, my intuition has been screaming at me that something is wrong. At first, I ignored it, thinking that since I wanted Amelia and Cedric together, I was just jealous of Julia dropping in and ruining my plans. But it's not that that."

"Skye, you're mumbling to yourself. Speak up. And say something that makes sense."

"Okay, fine. Don't you think it's weird that Julia called me to discuss our holiday, when she's Cedric's friend?"

"If you've given somebody your number, I don't think you should think it's weird that they should call you

"If you've given somebody your number, I don't think you should think it's weird that they should call you."

"Save me the sass, Hay. She has my number, just like other friends of Cedric, for emergency purposes. Julia isn't my friend; she's my brother's friend. I just know her like I know his other friends. The same way he knows my friends."

"I still don't see how her calling you is that big a deal. Maybe she just wanted to talk to you. You told me she has a crush on Cedric. Getting to know your crush's sibling better doesn't seem like a bad idea. Plus, aren't your parents friends?"

"But she's great friends with Cedric. It's not like she can use me to get info about him. It'll be much more awkward for her that way. And yes, our parents are friends, but that doesn't mean we are friends too. Okay, so if that doesn't convince you, how about the fact that she came here in no time at all?"

"How is that suspicious?"

"It took us weeks to convince our parents to let us go on our own, and then weeks to prepare, like book tickets and car rentals, and of course pack. She took mere hours to get here. Last evening I told her about HV, and early morning today she was here. How do you explain that?"

"How old is she?"

"22, I guess."

"So don't you think that 22 year olds maybe don't even need to ask their parents for permission? Maybe they just need to inform their parents and go wherever they wanna? She's a college girl for god's sake, Skye! Suppose tomorrow Cedric wants to go to Florida for a week or so. Do you really think he would have to beg and convince your parents the way you had to? Of course not. As for the preparations, she booked the hotel room after she got here. She depends on us for car rides. Maybe she got lucky with the plane tickets. Maybe she's a fast packer. And we were coming for two weeks. She was coming for a few days. Less essentials to pack, I would say. Stop making mountains out of molehills, Skye. There's nothing fishy here."

"But then why did she have to go and drink so much? Have you seen her state? She could barely remember her own name."

"Well anything could have happened. We don't know her. You admit to not being very chummy with her and I only met her today. Anything could have happened that made her want to just get really drunk. Maybe she and her boyfriend had a fight. Maybe she had a fight with her parents. Who knows?"