Chapter 3

After a short cab ride the three of us finally arrived at the Row to try and find everyone that we were out with that night, a nervous feeling settled in my stomach though.

'A lot can change in five months', I remember myself saying. Should I have really said that? 

“Oh I really need to catch up with James! He's over there! I’ll see you two later.” Bridget smiled heading to talk to James (Rhodes) and what looked like a few colleagues from Penguin. Tom took my hand in his as we made our way through the crowd to the drinks reception, handing me a tall , fizzing glass moments later, my eyes darting around for familiar faces before I realised Tom was talking to me.

"Sorry Tom, what was that?" I asked, patting his forearm. 

“That bracelet you’re wearing intrigues me, tell me about it.” he inquisitively said, holding my wrist to get a better look.

“Um well, it’s inspired from the deathly hallows in the final Harry Potter instalment. I'll try and keep it brief, that's possible right?" I asked, a faint chuckle escaping his mouth. 

"Well The Deathly Hallows are three highly powerful magical objects supposedly created by Death and given to each of three brothers in the Peverell family. The Elder Wand, Resurrection Stone, and the Cloak of Invisibility. Two of the brothers came to bad ends. However, the third's wisdom in requesting the Cloak was rewarded.

He who possesses these three becomes the Master of Death, making them invincible. Few wizards ever realised these artifacts were genuine items.” I paused for a breath and sip from my glass as he nodded with a faint smile; the great thing about talking to Tom was that he was always genuinely interested in what you had to say, even if it was fangirling over 'Harry Potter'.  

“I just, I love the idea of having a symbol of something that essentially shaped my childhood with me even if I've not read the books in a while. It’s a strange sort of comfort.” 

“Wonderful, have you read ‘The Casual Vacancy’ by any chance?” He quizzed, I could tell he’s definitely read it a few times.

“I have actually, a few times like you have I’m assuming.” I sort of asked and he let out a tiny chorus of ‘ehehehe’s’. We must have been talking about it for 20 or so minutes as Simon came over and asked if we’d just arrived.

“We've um yeah, we've been here a while Si, we got a bit carried away talking, ever so sorry.” He added, embracing him in a warm hug.

“Bloomin' chatty muggles” Simon said pulling me into a hug and admiring my bracelet momentarily, we chatted for a while before leading myself and Tom over to the rest of the group and we all walked over to everyone. Friends embracing friends and taking a few pictures.

It was nice seeing everyone like this, to say it’s been a while is an understatement, and yet I could only think of one person.

"Earth to Rosie! Hellooooooooooooo"

"What Simon?" I asked, blinking a few times.

"You zoned out completly, does your brain shut down because you miss your boyfriend?" he asked, my brow wrinkling in confusion.

"Did I? Oh um sorry, sorry. And rude, no my brain does not shut down! And I don't have a boyfriend so shut up!" I huffed, his annoying smugness practically asking to wearmy drink.

"Really?! Because you've been looking around for him all night, you're not paying much attention to any of us and we all know you fancy him. Good thing he's single then, he likes you too"

"Simon, leave her alone. Even though what you said is true" Tom added, looking over my shoulder for a moment.

"What?! You're supposed to want to tease her!"