Chapter 16

Thursday.

I finish work at around 7:30PM and make my way to Ben’s flat from my office. Merlin is with Mrs Hudson this evening, she's not seen him much so wanted to spend some time with him. Before I get to his I pop into the ladies toilet of a local coffee shop to fix my hair as it’s been really windy today; to put it lightly it’s not even a hot mess now, just a mess.

I’m wearing a teal coloured skater dress, leather jacket, black over the knee socks, black biker boots, my necklace from Ben and a black satchel, with my hair half up half down falling to my back.

I buzz the intercom and he lets me in. I get to his flat door and to my surprise he’s already standing there with the door ajar in an black Armani suit and white shirt, similar to the one he wore to the golden globes earlier this year but without the jacket, which left me rather curious. He doesn’t usually just hang around in such nice suits. 

“Evening Watson.” He softly says, “Evening Holmes.” I reply smiling as I squeezed his hand, walking past him into the flat as he takes my bag and jacket and I slip off my boots.

I look around the flat and something’s different; the walls are adorned with row upon row of glowing fairy lights, rose petals are scattered on the floor and Paolo Nutini is playing quietly in the background.

I felt Bens hands snake around my waist as I take in the scene and place my hands over his. He kisses my neck a few times, I felt that familiar feeling in my stomach so I took in a quiet deep breath, I wish I could control that feeling sometimes it's not exactly comfortable.

“I’ve missed you.” He quietly said as he turns me around and my lips meet his for the first time in what feels like a long time.

“I’ve missed you too.” I quietly said as our lips softly meet for a while, the smell of his cologne swimming in my nose. He holds me tighter and I run my fingers through his hair. Some moments later we finally let go of each other and his fingers are intertwined with mine.

“I should’ve said this as soon as I came in but this is amazing. I feel like I’m forgetting something today, have I forgotten something important?” I say looking at him innocently, he simply shook his head.

His flat’s never been like this other nights I come over.

“Well.” He says taking my hands in his and placing them around his neck, his now on my waist as we move slowly in time with the music.

“Firstly you haven’t forgotten anything so don’t worry. Secondly, I wanted you to know just how much I missed you and I wanted to be a little romantic for you. I figured rather than booking a table at some fancy restaurant I’d do something for you here where we can be on our own, and I could show off my cooking prowess just for you.” He said smiling as he looked down at me and I blushed.

'A little romantic?' I thought to myself as I looked around the room. '

It’s more like a romantic volcano called Mount Benedictus' erupted in here, oh my god'

“This is really sweet Ben, honestly, and that’s rather cute. Thank you, honestly. Sorry I’ll stop rambling on.”

“You're very welcome and you don't ever have to stop rambling on with me, well apart from when I'm half asleep, I'm not the best at listening then.” He said pressing his nose against mine, we just danced for a while.

A short while later…

Ben leads me to the kitchen and I see the entire room has been transformed, candles adorned the dining table, white rose petals were strewn everywhere as Con te Partiro by Andrea Bocelli played in the background.